In this paper, a novel design of dual-band microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) is presented. A simple and successful dual-band antenna can be realized by etching three CSRRs in the ground plane of a conventional patch antenna. The proposed antenna shows good performances at both resonant frequencies. The CSRRs embedded in the ground plane make a major contribution to the first operating band, but has minor effect on the second operating band. It is beneficial for designing a dual-band antenna as well as a miniaturized antenna flexibly. The simulation results are analyzed and compared with measured results in a good agreement.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
3. Smith , D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Wier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
4. Martin , F. , F. Falcone, J. Bonache, T. Lopetegi, R. Marques, and M. Sorolla, "Miniaturized coplanar waveguide stopband filters based on multiple tuned split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 12, 511-513, 2003.
5. Karthikeyan , S. S. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "Harmonic suppression of parallel coupled microsrip line bandpass filter using CSRR," Progress In ELectromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 193-201, 2009.
6. Keshvari , M. and M. Tayarani, "A novel miniaturized bandpass filter based on complementary split resonators (CSRRs) and open-loop resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 165-172, 2011.
7. Ma, J. J., X. Y. Cao, and T. Liu, "Design the size reduction patch antenna based on complementary split ring resonators," Proceedings of International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 401-402, 2010.
8. Lee, Y. , S. Tse, Y. Hao, and C. G. Parini, "A compact microstrip antenna with improved bandwidth using complementary split-ring resonant (CSRR) Loading," IEEE Antennas and Propagtion Society Intenational Symposiun, 5431-5434, 2007.
9. karimzadeh Baee, R., G. Dadashzadeh, and F. Geran Kharakhili, "Using of CSRR and its equivalent circuit model in size reduction of microstrip antenna," Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-4, 2007.
10. Ke, L. , G.-M. Wang, T. Xu, and H.-X. Xu, "A novle circularly polarilized antenna based on the single complementary split ring resonator," Proceeding of Intenational Symposium on Signal Systems and Electronics (ISSSE), Vol. 2, 1-4, 2010.
11. Zhang , H. , Y.-Q. Li, X. Chen, Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Design of circular polarization microstrip patch antennas with complementary split ring resonator," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 8, 1186-1190, 2009.
12. Ortiz , N. , F. Falcone, and M. Sorolla, "Dual band patch antenna based on complementary rectangular split ring resonators," Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 2762-2765, 2009.
13. Zhang , H., Y.-Q. Li, X. Chen, Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Design of circular/dual-frequency linear polarization antennas based on the anisotropic complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, 3352-3355, 2009.
14. Li , M. , M. Lu, and T. J. Cui, "Novel miniaturized dual band antenna design using complementary metamaterial," Proceeding of Intenational Workshop on Metamaterials, 374-376, 2008.