A compact dual-band patch antenna is proposed and measured in this paper. The proposed antenna employs a U-shaped slot and two mitered corners to achieve two operating frequency bands, 2.30-2.50 GHz and 4.50-6.36 GHz, which meet the specifications of IEEE 802.11b/g/a standard for WLAN applications. Full wave analysis is performed to simulate the characteristics of the proposed antenna using CST microwave studio. Moreover, a fabricated prototype which has compact dimensions of 20.0 mm × 25 mm × 1 mm exhibits agreement between measured and simulated parameters and radiation patterns.
2. Ren , X.-S., Y.-Z. Yin, W. Hu, and Y.-Q. Wei, "Compact tri-band rectangular ring patch antenna with asymmetrical strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1829-1838, 2010.
3. Li , Z. Q. , C. L. Ruan, L. Peng, and X. H. Wu, "Design of a simple multi-band antenna with a parasitic C-shaped strip," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1921-1929, 2010.
4. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
5. Han, J., W. Ding, and F. Chen, "Compact annular patch monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1024-1027, 2010.
6. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 329-327, 2008.
7. Huang, C.-Y. and E.-Z. Yu, "A slot-monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 500-502, 2011.
8. Yang, Y.-J., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and X. Li, "A novel design of dual-wideband CPW-fed antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, 1191-1200, 2009.
9. Liu, W.-C., "Optimal design of dual band CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
10. Song, Y. , Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-fed triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.
11. Yang, K. , H. Wang, Z. Lei, Y. Xie, and H. Lai, "CPW-fed slot antenna with triangular SRR terminated feed line for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 12, 685-686, 2011.
12. Lim , J.-H. , G.-T. Back, Y.-I. Ko, and C.-W. Song, "A reconfigurable PIFA using a switchable PIN-diode and a ¯ne-tuning varactor for USPCS/WCDMA/m-WiMAX/WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2404-2400, 2010.
13. Wang , H. and M. Zheng, "An internal triple-band WLAN antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 569-572, 2011.
14. Row, J. S., T. Y. Han, Y. T. Cheng, and C. Y. D. Sim, "Multi-band PIFA design for WLAN/Satellite communication ," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2010.
15. Kim, J., C. Yang, T. Yun, and C. Jung, "Multimode multiband (VHF/UHF/L /802.11a/b) antennas for broadcasting and telecommunication services," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 41-43, 2011.