A compact printed dipole antenna using fractal shape for Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) is presented. The proposed antenna consists of a third iteration fractal tree structure with the aim of reducing the antenna size. It occupies a volume of 78 × 30 × 1.58 mm3 and the radiator is composed of two arms. The antenna has been designed and optimized to cover the bi-band for passive RFID tag at 915 MHz and 2.4 GHz. A parametric study of the proposed antenna was carried out in order to optimize the main parameters. Details of the proposed antenna design and measurement results are presented and discussed.
2. Iliev, P., P. Le Thuc, C. Lucey, and R. Staraj, "Dual band HF-UHF RFID tag antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 9, 2009.
3. Kuo, J.-S, J. J.Wang, and C. Y. Huang, "Dual frequency for RFID tag with complementary characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Let., Vol. 49, No. 6, 1396-1397, 2007.
4. Fang, Z. , R. Jin, and J. Geng, "Dual-band RFID transponder antenna design for specific chip without additional impedance matching network," Microw. Opt. Technol. Let., Vol. 50, No. 1, 58-59, 2008.
5. Lee , Y.-C. and J.-S. Sun, "Dual-band dipole antenna for RFID tag applications," Proc. 38th Euro. Microw. Conf.,, Amsterdam, Oct. 2008.
6. Jon, S., Y. Yu, and J. Choi, "Dual-band slot-coupled dipole antenna for 900MHz and 2.45 GHz RFID tag application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 22, 1259-1260, 2006.
7. Mandelbrot , B., "The Fractal Geometry of Nature," WH Freeman and Co., 1977.
8. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," Ant. Prop. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, 2003.
9. Puente, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, X. Garcia, and F. Benitez, "Fractal multiband antennas based on the Sierpinski gasket," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 1, 1996.
10. Puente, C. , J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 2000.
11. Puente , C. , J. Claret, F. Sagues, J. Romeu, M. Q. Lopez-Salvans, and R. Pous, "Multiband properties of a fractal tree antenna generated by electrochemical decomposition," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 25, 2298-2299, 1996.
12. Werner, D. H., A. R. Bretones, and B. R. Long, "Radiation characteristics of thin-wire ternary fractal trees," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 8, 609-610, 1996.
13. Spence , T. G. and D. H. Werner, "A novel miniature broadband/multiband antenna based on an end-loaded planar open-sleeve dipole," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 12, 3614-3620, 2006.
14. Nikitin, P. V. , S. Rao, K. V. Lam, V. Pillai, R. Martinez, and H. Heinrich, "Power reflexion coefficient analysis for complex impedances in RFID tag design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theo. Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2721-2725, 2005.