In this letter, a novel compact quad-band microstrip circular slot antenna using edge-feeding is proposed to support the four wireless communication bands of GPS1.575 (1.525-1.625 GHz), WIMAX3.5 (3.3-3.6 GHz), WLAN2.45 (2.4-2.485 MHz)and WLAN5.2/5.8 (5.15-5.825 GHz). To expand the bandwidth of the GPS band and induce the WIMAX/WLAN band to support quad-band applications without affecting the compactness of the proposed antenna, a good method of implanting two T copper slices at the inner boundary of the two circular slots respectively is adopted. By adjusting the diameter of the two circular slots and the size of the T-shaped patch, resonant frequencies and bandwidth of the antenna are controlled and the multiple operating bands are achieved. In order to further reduce the size of the antenna that an edge-fed technology is used. This antenna has a simpler structure for realizing quad-band characteristics. Then, a prototype of the proposed antenna was successfully implemented, and good radiation performance is observed in all desired bands.
2. Liu, W.-J. , Q.-X. Chu, and L.-H. Ye, "A low-profile shorted monopole antenna embedded with a resonant slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 59-67, 2010.
3. Lin, C.-C., "Dual-band folded monopole antenna with slotted ground plane for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 53-60, 2010.
4. Gong, J.-G., Y.-C. Jiao, Q. Li, J. Wang, and G. Zhao, "A miniaturized internal wideband antenna for wireless USB dongle application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 67-74, 2010.
5. Hsieh, H. W., Y. C. Lee, K. K. Tiong, and J. S. Sun, "Design of a Multiband Antenna for Mobile Handset Operations," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 200-203, 2009.
6. Nguyen, V.-A. , M.-T. Dao, Y. T. Lim, and S.-O. Park, "A compact tunable internal antenna for personal communication handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 2008.
7. Chiu, C.-Y. , P.-L. Teng, and K.-L. Wong, "Shorted, folded planar monopole antenna for dual-band mobile phone," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 2003.
8. Teng , P.-L., H.-T. Chen, and K.-L. Wong, "Multifrequency planar monopole antenna for GSM/DCS/PCS/WLAN operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, 350-352, 2003.
9. Choi, J.-S. , K. K. Kang, J. W. Lee, C. S. Cho, and J. Kim, "A performance investigation of an internal quad-band antenna with double-spiral structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 2006.
10. Chen, I. F. and C. M. Chiang, "Multi-folded tapered monopole antenna for wideband mobile handset applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 2004.
11. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-FED multiband omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
12. Yu , H.-Z. and Q.-X. Chu, "A broadband PIFA with zerothorder resonator loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 67-77, 2011.
13. Melde , K. L., H. J. Park, H. H. Yeh, B. Fankem, Z. Zhou, and W. R. Eisenstadt, "Software defined match control circuit integrated with a planar inverted F antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3884-3890, 2010.
14. Yang, , S., C. Zhang, H. K. Pan, A. E. Fathy, and V. K. Nair, "Frequency-reconfigurable antennas for multiradio wireless plat-forms," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 1, 66-83, 2009.
15. Chen , C. C. , C. Y. Desmond Sim, and F. S. Chen, "A novel compact quad-band narrow strip-loaded printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 974-976, 2009.
16. Wong , K.-L. , G.-Y. Lee, and T.-W. Chiou, "A low-profile planar monopole antenna for multiband operation of mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 1, January,2003.
17. Wong , K.-L. , G.-Y. Lee, and T.-W. Chiou, "A low-profile planar monopole antenna for multiband operation of mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 1, 2003.