In this paper, a surface micromachined microwave tunable low pass filter, consisting of tunable shunt capacitors and series inductors, has been realized. The filter exhibits insertion loss of less than 1 dB (up to 10 GHz), stop band attenuation of 20 dB at 20 GHz, and cut-off frequency is changed to 8 GHz with the application of DC actuation voltage in the structure. The filter has an overall dimension of 5.5 mm x 2 mm. The characteristics of tunable filter are investigated with and without packaging.
2. Rebeiz, G. M., "RF MEMS Theory, Design and Technology," Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2003.
3. Barker, N. S. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Distributed MEMS true-time delay phase shifters and wide band switches," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 11, 1998.
4. Brank, J. , J. Yao, M. Eberly, A. Malczewski, K. Varian, and C. Goldsmith, "RF MEMS based tunable filters," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 5, 276-284, 2001.
5. Rebeiz, G. M. , G. L. T. Tan, and J. S. Hayden, "RF MEMS phase shifters: Design and applications," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 3, 72-81, 2002.
6. Natarajan, K., B. Sriram, Y. Chandana, K. Chandrasekhar, H. B. Ganapathy, B. Dasan, K. S. Reddy, and S. Pamidighantam, "Overview of MEMS activities at BEL," Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Smart Materials, Structures and Systems, SE-109-116, Bangalore, India, Jul. 28-30, 2005.
7. Laha , R., B. Sriram, A. T. Kalghatki, K. Natarajan, and S. Pamidighantam, "Design, development and characterization of surface micromachined passive components for radar applications," Proceedings of International Radar Symposium (IRS), Bangalore, India, Dec. 2005.
8. Lee , S., J. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "Millimeter-wave MEMS tunable low pass filter with reconfigurable series inductors and capacitive shunt switches," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 691-693, 2005.
9. McFeetors, G. and M. Okoniewski, "Distributed MEMS analog phase shifter with enhanced tuning," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 1, 34-36, 2006.
10. Janardhana, V. , R. G. Kulkarni, and J. S. Roy, "Feasibility study of MEMS distributed phase shifters for phased array," International Symposium on Microwaves, ISM, 2006.
11. Janardhana, V., J. S. Roy, S. Pamidighantam, and R. G. Kulkarni, "Analysis of surface micro machined RF MEMS phase shifters," IEEE Aerospace & Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 5, 32-35, 2008.
12. Jahanbakht, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and A. A. Lotfi Neyestanak, "Low actuation voltage Ka-band fractal MEMS switch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 83-92, 2008.
13. Shim , Y. , R. Tabrizian, F. Ayazi, and M. Rais-Zadeh, "Low-loss MEMS band-pass filters with improved out-of-band rejection by exploiting inductive parasitics," International Electron. Devices Meeting (IEDM09), 801-804, Baltimore, USA, Dec. 7-9, 2009.
14. Topalli , K. , M. Unlu, H. I. Atasoy, S. Demir, O. Aydin Civi, and T. Akin, "Empirical formulation of bridge inductance in inductively tuned RF MEMS shunt switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 343-356, 2009.
15. Raedi, Y. , S. Nikmehr, and A. Poorziad, "A novel bandwidth enhancement technique for X-band RF MEMS actuated reconfigurable reflectarray," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 179-196, 2011.
16. Gil, I., , M. Morata, R. Fernandez-Garcia, X. Rottenberg, and W. De Raedt, "Recon¯gurable RF-MEMS metamaterials filters," PIERS Proceedings, 1239-1242, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
17. Pillans, B. W., A. Malczewski, F. J. Morris, and R. A. Newstrom, "A family of MEMS tunable filters for advanced RF applications," IEEE MTT-S International Symposium, Baltimore, USA, Jun. 5-10, 2011.
18. Glover, I. A. , S. R. Pennock, and P. R. Shepherd, Microwave Devices, Circuits and Subsystems for Communications Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, 2005.