This paper proposes a miniaturization method for conventional Wilkinson Power Divider(WPD) by replacing the quarter wave sections with the help of fractals. The performance degradation is compensated by using Defected Ground Structure (DGS). The resultant device occupies 56% of the area in comparison to the conventional WPD. The simulation results show a reflection coefficient of -66.98 dB and isolation of 24.1021 dB at the centre frequency of 1.8 GHz. Finally a prototype model is developed on a low cost FR4 Glass Epoxy substrate and tested. The experimental results show a good agreement with the simulation results.
2. Yang, T., C.-J. Liu, L. Yan, and K.-M. Huang, "A compact dual-band power divider using planar artificial transmission lines for GSM/DCS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 185-191, 2009.
3. Scardelletti, M. C., G. E. Ponchak, and T. M. Weller, "Miniaturized Wilkinson power divider utilizing capacitive loading," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 12, No. 1, 6-8, 2002.
4. Ho, J. and N. V. Shuley, "Wilkinson divider design provides reduced size," Microwaves RF, 104, 1997.
5. Hirota, T. and M. Muraguchi, "K-band frequency up-convertors using reduced-size couplers and dividers," Gallium Arsenide Integrated Circuit (GaAs IC) Symp., 53-56, Miami Beach, FL, 1992.
6. Lu, L.-H., P. Bhattacharya, L. P. B. Katehi, and G. E. Ponchak, "X-band and K-band lumped Wilkinson power dividers with a micromachined technology," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Dig., 287-290, 2000.
7. Parisi, S. J., "180 。lumped element hybrid," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Dig., 1243-1246, 1989.
8. Wenjia, T. , J.-H. Ryu, and H. Kim, "Compact, tunable Wilkinson power divider using tunable synthetic transmission line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 1434-1436, 2010.
9. TaeGyu, K. , B. Lee, and M.-J. Park, "Dual-band unequal Wilkinson power divider with reduced length," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1187-1190, 2010.
10. Rawat, K. and F. M. Ghannouchi, "A design methodology for miniaturized power dividers using periodically loaded slow wave structure with dual-band applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3380-3388, 2009.
11. Kangasvieri, T., I. Hautajarvi, H. Jantunen, and J. Vahakangas, "Miniaturized low-loss Wilkinson power divider for RF front-end module applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 4, 660-663, 2006.
12. Kim, I.-K. , J.-G. Yook, and H.-K. Park, "Fractal-shape small size microstrip patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 34, No. 1, 15-17, 2002.
13. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, R. Montero, and J. Solder, "Small and high-directivity bow-tie patch antenna based on the sierpinski fractal," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 239-241, 2001.
14. Chen , W. L., G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Small-size microstrip patch antennas combining koch and Sierpinski fractal-shapes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 738-741, 2008.
15. Gupta , V. R. and N. Gupta, "Analysis of a fractal microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 2, 124-129, 2007.