A simple and novel printed monopole antenna with dual broad operating bands is presented. The antenna fed by a 50-Ω microstrip line is composed by dual twin-pair inverted-L shaped strips as well as a small back truncated ground. By properly selecting widths of these inverted-L shaped stripes, dual broad bandwidths formed from triple resonances to meet the band requirement of the 2.4/5.2/5.8 WLAN or the 2.5(3.5)/5.5 GHz WiMAX standard can be achieved. Experimental results for case of the obtained antenna prototype suitable for use in a 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN system have been done and shown good agreement with simulation. Good radiation performances including dual wide bandwidths of 270 MHz and 3.16 GHz, high average antenna gains of ≥ 2.6 and 4.6 dBi, and monopole-like radiation patterns over the two operating bands, respectively, make this antenna a good candidate for use in the modern dual-broadband wireless communication system.
2. Ojaroudi , M. , M. Hassanpour, Ch. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A novel planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 649-652, 2011.
3. Wu, , C. M., "Dual-band CPW-fed cross-slot monopole antenna for WLAN operation," IET Microwave Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 1, 542-546, 2007.
4. Yang, Y. J., L. Yang, S. X. Gong, and X. Li, "A novel design of dual-wideband CPW-fed antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1191-1200, 2009.
5. Liu, , H.-W. and C.-H. Ku, "Novel planar triple band monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 2405-2408, 2010.
6. Li , B. , Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "Dual rectangular ring with open-ended CPW-fed monopole antenna for Wimax/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 101-107, 2011.
7. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and Y.-J. Wei, "Compact dual-band-notched CPW-fed wide-slot antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications,", Vol. 53, 1496-1501, 2011.
8. Shin, Y.-S. and S.-O. Park, "A compact loop type antenna for bluetooth, S-DMB, Wibro, WiMax, and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 320-323, 2007.
9. Gupta, R. K. and G. Kumar, "Printed dual band monopole antenna structures for WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 2483-2487, 2008.
10. Lin, C. , F. S. Zhang, G. Zhao, F. Zhang, and Y. Song, "A novel symmetrical monopole antenna for dual-broadband operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 976-979, 2009.
11. Li, F. , L.-S. Ren, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact triple-band monopole antenna with G-shaped and S-shaped meander strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 107-116, 2010.
12. Zhang, Z., G. Fu, and S. Zuo, "A compact printed monopole antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 857-861, 2010.
13. Nouri, , H., , J. Nourinia, and Ch. Ghobadi, "Multiband printed dipole antenna with log-periodic toothed structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 536-539, 2011.
14. Ren, F.-C., F.-S. Zhang, J. H. Bao, B. Chen, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact triple-frequency slot antenna for WLAN/Wimax operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 21-30, 2011.