This paper develops a practical receiver suggested for cooperative systems using decode-and-forward transmission and compares it to the theoretical sub-optimum λ-MRC receiver model. The proposed receiver model adopts a channel blind λ-combiner and employs a practical estimation of the combiner's weight λ that changes adaptively for each received bit. The λ estimation process relies on a dynamic-blind calculation performed on the incoming bit stream using an approximate formula. The accuracy of the estimated values of λ against the numerical (optimum) values is verified by comparing their effects on the performance curves. Next, the performance of the proposed receiver is evaluated against the sub-optimum receiver using the closed-form performance equations then verified using an actual implementation of the decode-and-forward cooperative algorithm. The use of the proposed receiver is shown to have reliable performance under different channel assignments and provides adaptivity to channel variations without complexity or exaggerated signal processing.
2. Sendonaris, A. , E. Erkip, and B. Aazhang, "User cooperation diversity --- Part II: Implementation aspects and performance analysis," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 51, No. 11, 1939-48, 2003.
3. Nosratinia, A. , T. Hunter, and A. Hedayat, "Cooperation communication in wireless networks," IEEE Communication Magazine, 74-80, 2004.
4. Laneman, J. N., "Cooperative diversity in wireless networks: Algorithms and architectures,", Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sep. 2002.
5. Laneman, J. N. , D. N. Tse, and G. W. Wornell, "Cooperative diversity in wireless networks: E±cient protocols and outage behavior," IEEE Transactions Information Theory, Vol. 50, No. 12, 3062-3080, 2004.
6. Azarian, K. , H. El Gamal, and P. Schniter, "On the achievable diversity-multiplexing tradeoff in half duplex cooperative chan-nels," IEEE Transactions Information Theory, Vol. 51, No. 12, 4152-4172, 2005.
7. Cover, T. M. and A. El Gamal, "Capacity theorems for the relay channel," IEEE Transactions Information Theory, Vol. 25, No. 5, 572-584, 1979.
8. Venturino, L. , X. Wang, and M. Lops, "Multiuser detection for cooperative networks and performance analysis," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2006.
9. El-Ganainy, N. O. and S. E. El-Khamy, "A new cooperative diversity protocol for CDMA signaling using complete complementary codes," URSI General Assembly Conference,, Chicago, Illinois, USA, Aug. 2008.
10. Fan, P. and M. Darnell, Sequence Design for Communications Applications, 311-336, John Wiley & sons Inc., 1996.
11. Suehiroand, N. and M. Hatori, "N-shift cross-orthogonal sequences," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 34, No. 1, 143-146, 1988.
12. Luke, H. D., "Sets of one and higher dimensional welti codes and complementary codes," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 21, No. 2, 170-179, 1985.
13. Li, S., J. Chen, L. Zhang, and Y.-Q. Zhou, "Application of complete complementary sequence in orthogonal MIMO SAR system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 51-66, 2010.
14. Chen, H., H. Chiu, and M. Guizani, "Orthogonal complementary codes for interference-free CDMA technologies," IEEE Communications Magazine, 68-79, 2006.
15. Tseng, S. and M. R. Bell, "Asynchronous multicarrier DS-CDMA using mutually orthogonal complementary sets of sequences," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 48, No. 1, 53-59, 2000.