This paper presents the design of a crossed oval-ring microstrip slot antenna to achieve triple-frequency operation for WLAN/WiMAX applications. The proposed antenna is composed of a rectangular microstrip feed line and a ground plane on which three crossed oval-ring slots are etched. The three crossed slot loops finally excite three resonant modes and the resonant frequencies of the proposed antenna are mainly controlled by the dimensions and locations of the slot loops. The antenna prototype is fabricated and the characteristics are experimentally verified. The measured impedance bandwidths for triple operating bands can reach 840/670/940 MHz with return losses larger than 10 dB, which is enough for WLAN/WiMAX communication. In addition, good radiation characteristics with moderate peak gains are obtained and the measured and simulated results show a good agreement.
2. Rhee, S. and G. Yun, "CPW fed slot antenna for triple-frequency band operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 17, 952-953, 2006.
3. Wang, Y.-D., J.-H. Lu, and H.-M. Hsiao, "Novel design of semi-circular slot antenna with triple-band operation for WLAN/WiMAX communication," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1531-1534, 2008.
4. Dang , L. , Z. Y. Lei, Y. J. Xie, G. L. Ning, and J. Fan, "A compact microstrip slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1178-1181, 2010.
5. Chen , J.-S., "Dual-frequency annular-ring slot antennas fed by CPW feed and microstrip line feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 569-571, 2005.
6. Sze , J. Y., C. I. G. Hsu, and S. C. Hsu, "Design of a compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 423-426, 2007.
7. Bao , X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Microstrip-fed dual-frequency annular-slot antenna loaded by split-ring-slot," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 5, 757-764, 2009.
8. Sabri , H. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Two novel compact triple-band microstrip annular-ring slot antenna for PCS-1900 and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters , Vol. 5, 87-98, 2008.
9. Lee , Y.-C. and J.-S. Sun, "Compact printed slot antennas for wireless dual- and multi-band operations ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 289-305, 2008.
10. Chen, H., Y. Ding, and D. S. Cai, "A CPW-FED UWB antenna with WiMAX/WLAN band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 163-173, 2011.
11. Song, Z.-N. , Y. Ding, and K. Huang, "A compact multiband monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 147-155, 2011.
12. Chiang, M.-J., C.-H. Tseng, J.-Y. Sze, and S.-S. Bor, "Design of dual-band annular slot antenna with strip-loaded approach," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 6, 1398-1402, 2010.
13. Sze, J.-Y. , T.-H. Hu, and T.-J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with measured grounded strip ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009.
14. Chiang, M.-J. , T.-F. Hung, J.-Y. Sze, and S.-S. Bor, "Miniaturized dual-band CPW-fed annular slot antenna design with arc-shaped tuning stub," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 11, 3710-3715, 2010.