A new microstrip structure for realization of wideband phase shifter has been designed and fabricated. The proposed design uses edge-coupled semi-elliptical structure and an elliptical defected ground plane to increase the coupling coefficient and operating bandwidth. Simulation performed using CST Microwave Studio and measured results confirm the good performance of the proposed design. The phase deviation is better than ±4º, insertion loss less than 0.6dB and return loss better than 10dB over a wide frequency range. The achievable bandwidth is more than 2.3 : 1.
2. Quirarte, J. and J. Starski, "Novel Schiffman phase shifters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 41, No. 1, 9-14, 1993.
3. Chai, D., M. Linh, M. Yim, and G. Yoon, "Asymmetric teflon-based Schiffman phase shifter," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 6, 529-530, 2003.
4. Minnaar, F., J. Coetzee, and J. Joubert, "A novel ultrawideband microwave differential phase shifter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 45, No. 8, 1249-1252, 1997.
5. Ahn , H. and I. Wolff, "Asymmetric ring-hybrid phase shifters and attenuators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1146-1155, 2002.
6. Gruszczynski, S., K. Wincza, and K. Sachse, "Design of compensated coupled-stripline 3-dB directional couplers, phase shifters, and magic-T's --- Part I: Single-section coupled-line circuits," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3986-3994, 2006.
7. Guo, Y., Z. Zhang, and L. Ong, "Improved wideband Schiffman phase shifter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1196-1200, 2006.
8. Abbosh, A. and M. Bialkowski, "Design of compact directional couplers for UWB applications," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 2, 189-194, 2007.
9. Chen, X.-Q., X.-W. Shi, Y.-C. Guo, and M.-X. Xiao, "A novel dual band transmitter using microstrip defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 1-11, 2008.
10. Chen, W. N., W. K. Chia, M. Cheung, and C. F. Yang, "Compact etched ground structure ultra-wideband bandpass filter with adjustable bandwidth," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1375-1386, 2010.
11. Weng, L. H., Y.-C. Guo, X.-W. Shi, and X.-Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
12. Massot, F. , F. Medina, and M. Horno, "Theoritical and experimental study of modified coupled strip coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 4, 347-348, 1992.
13. Velazquez-Ahumada, M. C., J. Martel, and F. Madina, "Parallel coupled microstrip filters with ground-plane aperture for spurious band suppression and enhanced coupling," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 3, 1082-1086, 2004.