Microstrip bandpass filters using a triple-mode patch-loaded cross resonator are presented in this work. First, a square patch is added at the center of a cross resonator to separate the resonant frequencies of the 1st and 2nd modes. Then, a pair of narrow slots is etched into the square patch along its symmetrical plane to split the 1st resonant mode and its degenerate mode. By changing the patch size and the slot length, the above three modes are appropriately adjusted. Two prototype filters with open-ended and stub-loaded coupled-lines are designed and fabricated to verify the design principle and to further suppress the lowest harmonic passband, respectively. Predicted results agree well with the measured ones.
2. Zhu, L. and W. Menzel, "Compact microstrip bandpass filter with two transmission zeros using a stub-tapped half-wavelength line resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 1, 16-18, 2003.
3. Shen, W., X. W. Sun, and W. Y. Yin, "A novel microstrip filter using three-mode stepped impedance resonator (TSIR)," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 774-776, 2009.
4. Torabi, A. and K. Forooraghi, "Miniature harmonic-suppressed microstrip bandpass filter using a triple-mode stub-loaded resonator and spur lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 5, 255-257, 2011.
5. Lugo, C. and J. Papapolymerou, "Planar realization of a triple-mode bandpass filter using a multilayer configuration," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 2, 296-301, 2007.
6. Serrano, A. L. C., F. S. Correra, T. P. Vuong, and P. Ferrari, "Analysis of a reconfigurable bandpass circular patch filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 8, No. 12, 3918-3924, 2010.
7. Mo, S.-G., Z.-Y. Yu, and L. Zhang, "Design of triple-mode bandpass filter using improved hexagonal loop resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 117-125, 2009.
8. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Boston, 1996, New York, 1986.
9. Wang, Y. X., B.-Z. Wang, and J. Wang, "A compact square loop dual-mode bandpass filter with wide stop-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 67-73, 2007.