A 16-way radial waveguide power divider with the characteristics of low insertion loss and high power handling capacity is investigated. Its design theory and basic structure are proposed at first; a power divider with the center frequency of 4.0GHz is designed, fabricated, and measured. Good agreement between the simulated and measured results is found for the proposed power divider. The measured 15-dB return loss bandwidth is demonstrated to be 440MHz and the measured 0.5-dB insertion loss bandwidth is demonstrated to be 540MHz. The power handling capacity of the proposed power divider is analyzed through simulation, and the results prove its usability in high power applications.
2. Christopher, S., V. A. Abid Hussain, M. S. Easwaran, and V. N. Dabade, "Design aspects of compact high power multiport unequal power dividers ," IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology, 15-18, Oct. 1996.
3. Wilkinson, E. J., "An n-way hybrid power divider," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 8, 116-118, Jan. 1960.
4. Lu, F. and K. Chang, "A 180° out-of-phase power divider using asymmetrical coplanar stripline," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 6, No. 11, 404-406, 1996.
5. Chang, K., M. Li, and K. A. Hummer, "High power four-way power divider/combiner," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1329-1332, 1990.
6. Chen, S., "A radial waveguide power divider for Ka band phased array antennas," 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 948-951, 2002.
7. Zhang, J.-Q., Q.-X. Liu, X.-Q. Li, and L. Zhao, "Four-way radial waveguide power divider with high power-handling capacity," The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 18, No. 5, 124-128, 2011.
8. Nakano, H., H. Takeda, and Y. Kitamura, "Low-profile helical array antenna fed from a radial waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 3, 279-284, 1992.
9. Bialkowski, M. E. and P. W. Davis, "Analysis of a circular patch antenna radiating in a parallel-plate radial guide," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 2, 180-187, 2002.
10. Song, K., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "Eight-way substrate integrated waveguide power divider with low insertion loss," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1473-1477, 2008.
11. Miller, R. B., W. F. McCullough, K. T. Lancaster, and C. A. Muehlenweg, "Super-reltron theory and experiments," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 20, No. 3, 332-343, 1992.