This paper presents the extension of the Maxwell Garnett effective medium model accounting for an arbitrary orientation of ellipsoidal inclusions. The proposed model is shown to be asymptotically convergent to the Maxwell Garnett mixing rule for a homogenous distribution of inclusions. Subsequently, a special case of a thin composite layer with a two-dimensional distribution of inclusions is considered and a simplified Maxwell Garnett formula is formally derived. The proposed model is validated against the alternative theoretical calculations and measurements data.
2. De Rosa, I. M., A. Dinescu, F. Sarasini, M. S. Sarto, and A. Tamburrano, "Effect of short carbon fibers and MWCNTs on microwave absorbing properties of polyester composites containing nickel-coated carbon fibers," Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 70, 102-109, 2010.
3. Wada, Y., N. Asano, K. Sakai, and S. Yoshikado, "Preparation and evaluation of composite electromagnetic wave absorbers made of fine aluminum particles dispersed in polystyrene medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 4, No. 8, 838-845, 2008.
4. Na, X., J. Qingjie, Z. Chongguang, W. Chenglong, and L. Yuanyuan, "Study on dispersion and electrical property of multi-walled carbon nanotubes/low-density polyethylene nanocomposites," Materials and Design, Vol. 31, 1676-1683, 2010.
5. Al-Saleh, M. H. and U. Sundararaj, "Electromagnetic interference shielding mechanisms of CNT/polymer composites," Carbon, Vol. 47, 1738-1746, 2009.
6. Youngs, I. J., "Exploring the universal nature of electrical percolation exponents by genetic algorithm fitting with general effective medium theory," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 35, 3127-3137, 2002.
7. Maxwell Garnett, J. C., "Colours in metal glasses and metal films," Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Sect. A, Vol. 3, 385-420, 1904.
8. Sihvola, A. H. and J. A. Kong, "Effective permittivity of dielectric mixtures," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 4, 420-429, 1988.
9. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. Wu, J. Zhang, J. L. Drewniak, and K. N. Rozanow, "Representation of permittivity for multiphase dielectric mixtures in FDTD modeling," IEEE International Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC 2004, Vol. 1, 309-314, 2004.
10. Uberall, H., B. F. Howell, and E. L. Diamond, "Effective medium theory and the attenuation of graphite fiber composites," Journal of Physics, Vol. 73, No. 7, 3441-3445, 1993.
11. Wu, J. and D. S. McLachlan, "Percolation exponents and thresholds obtained from the nearly ideal continuum percolation system graphite-boron nitride," Physical Review B, Vol. 56, No. 3, 1236-1248, 1997.
12. Koledintseva, M. Y., J. L. Drewniak, and R. DuBroff, "Modeling of shielding composite materials and structures for microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 197-215, 2009.
13. Jylha, L. and A. Sihvola, "Equation for the effective permittivity of particle-filled composites for material design applications," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 40, 4966-4973, 2007.
14. Li, Y., C. Chen, S. Zhang, Y. Ni, and J. Huang, "Electrical conductivity and electromagnetic interference shielding characteristics of multiwalled carbon nanotube filled polyacrylate composite films," Applied Surface Science, Vol. 254, 5766-5771, 2008.
15. Landau, L. D., L. P. Pitaevskii, and E. M. Lifshitz, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, 2nd Ed., Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann, 1984.
16. Koledintseva, M., P. C. Rawa, R. DuBroff, J. Drewniak, K. Rozanov, and B. Archambeault, "Engineering of composite media for shields at microwave frequencies," IEEE International Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC 2005, Vol. 1, 169-174, 2005.
17. Koledintseva, M. Y., R. DuBroff, and R. W. Schwartz, "Maxwell Garnett rule for dielectric mixtures with statistically distributed orientations of inclusions," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 99, 131-148, 2009.
18. Sihvola, A. and I. V. Lindell, "Remote sensing of random media with ellipsoidal inhomogeneities," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS'89, Vol. 2, 929-931, 2003.
19. Avelin, J., Polarizability analysis of canonical dielectric and bianisotropic scatterers, Ph.D. dissertation, Helsinki University of Technology, 2003.