This paper reports material selection methodology for radio frequency - micro electro mechanical systems (RF-MEMS) switches used for reconfigurable antennas. As there are variety of materials available to design engineer, a proper technique to select the best possible material is needed. Three primary performance indices, pull-in voltage, RF-loss, and thermal residual stress, are used to obtain the desired performance. The selection chart shows that aluminum is the most suitable material for being used as bridge material in RF-MEMS switches to provide the best performance in reconfigurable antenna.
2. Jung, C. W., M. J. Lee, and F. D. Flaviis, "Reconfigurable dual-band antenna with high frequency ratio (1.6 : 1) using MEMS switches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 2, 76-77, 2008.
3. Cheng, S., P. Rantakari, R. Malmqvist, C. Samuelsson, T. Vaha-Heikkila, A. Rydberg, and J. Varis, "Switched beam antenna based on RF MEMS SPDT switch on quartz substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 383-386, 2009.
4. Cheng, C. C., B. Lakshminarayanan, and A. Abbaspour-Tamijani, "A programmable lens-array antenna with monolithically integrated MEMS switches," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 8, 1874-1884, 2009.
5. Jung, C. W. and M. J. Lee, "Reconfigurable scan-beam single-arm spiral antenna integrated with RF-MEMS switches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 455-463, 2006.
6. Srikar, V. T. and S. M. Spearing, "Material selection for microfabricated electrostatic actuators," Sens Actuators A, Vol. 102, 279-285, 2003.
7. Rao, R. V., "A material selection model using graph theory and matrix approach," Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 431, 248-255, 2006.
8. Roth, R., F. Field, and J. Clark, "Multi-attribute utility analysis," Journal of Computer-Aided Materials Design, Vol. 1, No. 3, 325-342, 1994.
9. Guisbiers, G., E. Herth, B. Legrand, N. Rolland, T. Lasri, and L. Buchaillot, "Materials selection procedure for RF-MEMS," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 87, 1792-1795, 2010.
10. Ashby, M. F., Materials Selection in Mechanical Design, 2nd Edition, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK, 1999.
11. Puyal, V., D. Dragomirescu, C. Villeneuve, J. Ruan, P. Pons, and R. Plana, "Frequency scalable model for MEMS capacitive shunt switches at millimeter-wave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 11, 2824-2833, 2009.
12. Ekkels, P., X. Rottenberg, R. Puers, and H. A. C. Tilmans, "Evaluation of platinum as a structural thin film material for RF-MEMS devices ," J. Micromech. Microeng., Vol. 19, 065010-065018, 2009.
13. Palego, C., J. Deng, Z. Peng, S. Halder, J. C. M. Hwang，D. I. Forehand, D. Scarbrough, and C. L. Goldsmith, "Robustness of RF MEMS capacitive switches with molybdenum membranes," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3262-3269, 2009.
14. Alam, A. H. M. Z., M. R. Islam, S. Khan, N. B. Mohd Sahar, and N. B. Zamani, "Effects of MEMS material on designing a multi-band reconfigurable antenna," Iranian Journal Of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 2, 112-118, 2009.
15. Reddy, G. P. and N. Gupta, "Material selection for microelectronic heat sinks: An application of the Ashby approach," Materials and Design, Vol. 31, 113-117, 2010.
16. Rebeiz, G. M., RF MEMS: Theory, Design, and Technology, 3rd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New Jersey, 2003.
17. Callister, W. D., Material Science and Engineering: An Introduction, 7th edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 2007.
18. Kingsley, N., D. E. Anagnostou, M. Tentzeris, and J. Papapolymerou, "RF MEMS sequentially reconfigurable sierpinski antenna on a flexible organic substrate with novel DC-biasing technique," J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol. 16, No. 5, 1185-1192, 2007.
19. Reines, I., B. Pillans, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Thin-film aluminum RF MEMS switched capacitors with stress tolerance and temperature stability," J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol. 20, No. 1, 193-202, 2011.
20. Dai, C.-L. and J.-H. Chen, "Low voltage actuated RF microme-chanical switches fabricated using CMOS-MEMS technique," Microsyst. Technol., Vol. 12, 1143-1151, 2006.