A miniature single-layer CPW-fed monopole antenna with triple-band operation for wireless local area network (WLAN) and worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) applications is presented. The proposed antenna, comprising a planar rectangular patch element embedded with dual U-shaped slot, is capable of generating three distinct operating bands, 2.37 - 2.53, 3.34 - 3.82, and 4.23 - 6.88 GHz covering all the 2.4/5.5/5.8 GHz WLAN bands and the 3.5/5.5 GHz WiMAX bands. The designed antenna has a simple uniplanar structure and occupies a small size of 25×18 mm2 including the finite ground CPW feeding mechanism. Moreover, the proposed antenna shows good monopole-like radiation patterns with small cross-polarization and stable antenna gains across the three operating bands.
2. Liu, W. C., W. R. Chen, and C. M. Wu, "Printed double S-shaped monopole antenna for wideband and multiband operation of wireless communication," IEEE Proc. Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 151, No. 6, 473-476, 2004.
3. Huang, C. Y. and P.-Y. Chiu, "Dual-band monopole antenna with shorted parasitic element," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 21, 1154-1155, 2005.
4. Ali Nezhad, S. M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel triband E-shaped printed monopole antenna for MIMO application," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 576-579, 2010.
5. Chang, T. N. and J. H. Jiang, "Meandered T-shaped monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3976-3978, 2009.
6. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007.
7. Pan, C. Y., T.-S. Horng, W.-S. Chen, and C.-H. Huang, "Dual wideband printed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 149-151, 2007.
8. Yang, K., H. Wang, Z. Lei, Y. Xie, and H. Lai, "CPW-fed slot antenna with triangular SRR terminated feedline for WLAN/WiMAX applications ," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 12, 685-686, 2011.
9. Razali, A. R. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Coplanar inverted-F antenna with open-end ground slots for multiband operation," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1029-1032, 2009.
10. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A novel triple band printed antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2481-2485, 2009.
11. Saghati, A. P., M. Azarmanesh, and R. Zaker, "A novel switchable single- and multifrequency triple-slot antenna for 2.4-GHz bluetooth, 3.5-GHz WiMax, and 5.8-GHz WLAN," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 534-537, 2010.
12. Chaimool, S. and K. L. Chung, "CPW-fed mirrored-L monopole antenna with distinct triple bands for WiFi and WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 18, 928-929, 2009.
13. Bemani, M., S. Nikmehr, and H. Younesiraad, "A novel small triple band rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN and WiMAX application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1688-1698, 2011.
14. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S.-O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filer and time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.