We present a band-stop filter (BSF) by using a periodic structure property of frequency selective surfaces (FSSs) embedded in a microstrip transmission line. The proposed BSF is designed with FSS unit cells modifying the cross-loop slots. The center frequency (fo) of the BSF is 6.6 GHz, and the 3-dB bandwidth varies by the number of cascading unit cells. The BSF is interpreted with an equivalent circuit model and a dispersion diagram, and exhibits uniplanar geometry, low return loss, simple fabrication, smaller size, and wide bandwidth.
2. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2-D photonic bandgap structure for microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 2, 69-71, 1998.
3. Li, Y., H. Jiang, L. He, H. Li, Y. Zhang, and H. Chen, "Multichanneled filter based on a branchy defect in microstrip photonic crystal," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, 081106, 2006.
4. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001.
5. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, M. Beruete, R. Marqués, F. Martín, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of metasurfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, 197401, 2004.
6. Sor, J., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A novel low-loss slow-wave CPW periodic structure for filter applications," 2001 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, 307-310, 2001.
7. Kazerooni, M., G. R. Rad, and A. Cheldavi, Behavior study of simultaneously defected microstrip and ground structure (DMGS) in planar circuits, PIERS Proceedings, 895-900, Beijing, China, Mar. 23--27, 2009.
8. Ibraheem, I. A. and M. Koch, "Coplanar waveguide metamaterials: The role of bandwidth modifying slots," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, 113517, 2007.
9. Kee, C. S., M. Y. Jang, I. M. Park, H. Lim, J. E. Kim, H. Y. Park, and J. I. Lee, "Photonic band gap formation by microstrip ring: A way to reduce the size of microstrip photonic band gap structures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, 1520, 2002.
10. Kee, C. S., M. Y. Jang, S. I. Kim, I. M. Park, and H. Lim, "Tuning and widening of stop bands of microstrip photonic band gap ring structures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 86, 181109, 2005.
11. Chen, D., S. Wang, L. Li, Z. Liu, and X. Z. Zhao, "Microstrip filter with H-shaped fractal," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, 253507, 2006.
12. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, 1st Ed., John Wiley, 2000.
13. Meng, X. and A. Chen, "Influence of cross-loop slots FSS structure parameters on frequency response," 2009 IEEE Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 939, 2009.
14. Myers, H. P., Introductory Solid State Physics, 2nd Ed., CRC Press, 1997.
15. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, 2005.