A high performance balun bandpass filter (BPF) with very simple structure is proposed in this letter, this structure realizes superior performance in bandpass filtering meanwhile with good differential performance of the balun. The proper balanced outputs and BPF characteristic by the symmetric feeding and skew-symmetric feeding have been obtained, and the theory of this simple structure for unbalanced input to balanced outputs has been studied. The center frequency of the fabricated balun-BPF was operated at 2.4 GHz with 5.8% fractional bandwidth (FBW), and this frequency is used for Bluetooth and some other communication systems. The differences between the two outputs are 180° ± 5° in phase and within 0.39 dB in magnitude. At f0, the amplitude imbalanced and phase difference are within 0.37 dB and 179.2°, respectively. The measured frequency responses agree well with the simulated ones. With the theoretical analyses and practical results, it is shown that the proposed one has the advantages of simple structure, convenient analysis and good performance of both BPF and balun.
2. Jung, E.-Y. and H.-Y. Hwang, "A balun-BPF using a dual mode ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 9, 652-654, 2007.
3. Kang, S.-J. and H.-Y. Hwang, "Ring-balun-bandpass filter with harmonic suppression," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 11, 1847-1854, 2010.
4. Huang, G.-S. and C.-H. Chen, "Dual-band balun bandpass filter with hybrid structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 7, 356-358, 2011.
5. Wu, C.-H., C.-H. Wang, S.-Y. Chen, and C.-H. Chen, "Balanced-to-unbalanced bandpass filters and the antenna application," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2474-2482, 2008.
6. Sun, S. and W. Menzel, "Novel dual-mode balun bandpass filters using single cross-slotted patch resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 8, 415-417, 2011.
7. Huang, G.-S., C.-H. Wu, and C.-H. Chen, "LTCC balun bandpass filters using dual-response resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 9, 483-485, 2011.
8. Yang, T., M. Tamure, and T. Itoh, "Compact hybrid resonator with series and shunt resonances used in miniaturized filters and balun filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 58, No. 2, 390-402, 2010.
9. Tang, C.-W., "Design of a microstrip filter using multiple capacitively loaded coupled lines," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 3, 651-657, 2007.
10. Wenzel, R.-J., "Synthesis of combline and capacitively loaded interdigital bandpass filters of arbitrary bandwidth," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 19, No. 8, 678-686, 1971.
11. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a 0± feed structure," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2362-2367, 2002.