A polarization-dependent mutiband radar absorbing material (PDM-RAM) composed of polarization-dependent multiband AMC (PDMAMC) and perfect electric conductor (PEC) cells is proposed. The PDMAMC is realized by etching a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) on the patch of a conventional AMC. Around the two/three operational frequencies of the PDMAMC-elements for different electric field polarizations, the reflections of the PDMAMC and PEC have opposite phases, so for any normal incident plane wave the reflections cancel out. The basic principle is discussed, and a sample is measured. The results show that the proposed method is feasible and effective for the polarization-dependent multiband radar cross section (RCS) reduction.
2. Wang, W.-T., S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Zhang, F.-T. Zha, J. Ling, and T. Wan, "Low RCS dipole array synthesis based on MOM-PSO hybrid algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 119-132, 2009.
3. Sievenpiper, D., et al., "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, 2059-2074, 1999.
4. Goussetis, G., A. P. Feresidis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Tailoring the AMC and EBG characteristics of periodic metallic arrays printed on grounded dielectric substrate ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 1, 82-89, 2006.
5. Fante, R. L. and M. T. McCormack, "Reflection properties of the Salisbury screen," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag. , Vol. 36, No. 10, 1443-1454, 1988.
6. Gao, Q., Y. Yin, D. B. Yan, and N. C. Yuan, "Application of metamaterials to ultra-thin radar-absorbing material design," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 17, 936-937, 2005.
7. Simms, S. and V. Fusco, "Tunable thin radar absorber using artificial magnetic ground plane with variable backplane," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 21, 1197-1198, 2006.
8. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Analysis and design of ultra thin electromagnetic absorbers comprising resistively loaded high impedance surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1551-1558, 2010.
9. Paquay, M., J. C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3630-3638, 2007.
10. Zhang, Y., R. Mittra, B. Z. Wang, and N. T. Huang, "AMCs for ultra-thin and broadband RAM design," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 10, 484-485, 2009.
11. Fu, Y. Q., Y. Q. Li, and N. C. Yuan, "Wideband composite AMC surfaces for RCS reduction," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 4, 712-715, 2011.
12. Tan, Y., N. Yuan, Y. Yang, and Y. Fu, "Improved RCS and efficient waveguide slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 10, 582-583, 2011.
13. Peng, L., C. L. Ruan, and Z. Q. Li, "A novel compact and polarization-dependent mushroom-type EBG using CSRR for dual/triple-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 9, 489-491, 2010.
14. Hosseini, M, A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "A novel AMC with little sensitivity to the angle of incidence using 2-layer Jerusalem cross FSS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 43-51, 2006.
15. Ansoft HFSS ver. 12, , www.Ansoft.com.
16. Katsarakis, N., T. Koschny, and M. Kafesaki, "Electric coupling to the magnetic resonance of split ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 15, 2943-2945, 2004.
17. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, and J. D. Baena, "Effective negative-ε stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, 2004.
18. Liu, Y. C., C. Y. Liu, and C. P. Kuei, "Design and analysis of broadband microwave absorber utilizing FSS screen constructed with circular fractal configurations," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 3, 449-453, 2005.