A compact ultrawideband (UWB) monopole antenna with two U-shaped slots for WLAN and WiMAX dual band-notched functions is proposed and experimentally studied. The proposed antenna with the size of 28 mm×24 mm×1.6 mm is excited by a 50Ω microstrip feed line. The band-notch functions are realized by loading two approximate half-wavelength U-shaped slots which change the current distribution on the Y-shaped patch. The obtained results show that the designed antenna has an impedance bandwidth of 2.95 GHz-12 GHz for S11 ≤ -10 dB, except two frequency stop-bands of 3.32 GHz-3.98 GHz for WiMAX and 4.81 GHz-6.68 GHz for WLAN. The antenna has successfully fabricated and measured. The return loss, band-notched characteristic, radiation patterns and peak gains are presented.
2. Srifi, M. N., O. El Mrabet, F. Falcone, M. S. Ayza, and M. Essaaidi, "A novel compact printed circular antenna for very ultrawideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4, 1130-1133, 2009.
3. Thong, N. D. and V. V. Yem, "Combining two methods to enhance band-notch characteristic of ultra wide band antenna," The International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications, 206-210, 2009.
4. Chu, Q.-X. and T.-G. Huang, "A compact UWB antenna with sharp band-notched characteristics and controllable notched bandwidth," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 630-633, 2010.
5. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, Z. Zhang, and Y. Song, "Band-notched ultra-wideband monopole antenna using coupled resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 16, 1099-1100, 2010.
6. Jang, J.-W. and H.-Y. Hwang, "An improved band-rejection UWB antenna with resonant patches and a slot," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 299-302, 2009.
7. Choi, N., C. Jung, J. Byun, F. J. Harackiewicz, M.-J. Park, Y.-S. Chung, T. Kim, and B. Lee, "Compact UWB antenna with I-shaped band-notch parasitic element for laptop applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 580-582, 2009.
8. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. Y. Zhou, "Band-notched ultra-wideband antenna designed and optimized by current distribution analysis ," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Vol. 3, 1062-1065, 2008.
9. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. Geran, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.