A novel extremely wide band dipole antenna with omni-directional radiation patterns is investigated experimentally and numerically. The proposed antenna comprises two groups of crossing semicircular discs. The shape of each disc is modified to broaden the working bandwidth. Measured results demonstrate that the novel antenna possesses good impedance match from 0.45 to 38.9 GHz for S11 lower than -10 dB, in good agreement with simulated results. Omni-directional radiation patterns keep stable within the operating band. The proposed antenna is highly suitable for various wide band systems.
2. Mallahzadeh, A. R. and F. Karshenas, "Modified TEM horn antenna for broad band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 105-119, 2009.
3. Liang, J. X., C. C. Chiau, and X. D. Chen, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.
4. Schantz, H. G., "Planar elliptical element ultra-wideband dipole antennas," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propag. Soc., Vol. 3, 44-47, 2002.
5. Zhou, S.-G., J. Ma, J.-Y. Deng, and Q.-Z. Liu, "A low-profile and broadband conical antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 97-103, 2009.
6. Song, C. T. P., P. T. S. Hall, and H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, "Multiband multiple ring monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 4, 722-729, 2003.
7. Baek, Y. H., et al., "94 GHz logperiodic antenna on GaAs substrate using air-bridge structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 8, 909-911, 2009.
8. Chen, T. K. and G. H. Huff, "Stripline-fed Archimedean spiral antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 10, 346-349, 2011.
9. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electronmagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
10. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Design of a monopulse antenna using a dual V-type linearly tapered slot antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2903-2909, 2008.
11. Amert, A. K. and K. W. Whites, "Miniaturization of the biconical antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 2009.
12. Lestari, A. A., et al., "A modified bow-tie antenna for improved pulse radiation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2184-2192, 2010.
13. Lau, K. L., P. Li, and K. M. Luk, "A monopolar patch antenna with very wide impedance bandwidth," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 655-661, 2005.
14. Rezaul, A., M. T. Islam, and N. Morbahiah, "Compact tapered-shape slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 10, 1190-1193, 2011.
15. Duncan, C. and E. Lule, "Half disc element dipole antenna," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 2B, 576-579, 2005.