A compact dual-band CPW-fed triangle-shaped antenna is proposed for applications in 2.4/5 GHz WLAN and RFID. The designed antenna, including ground plane, is only 28 mm in height and 26 mm in width. By introducing a Π-shaped slot and a T-shaped strip, the proposed antenna can generate two separate impedance bandwidths. Prototypes of the proposed antenna have been constructed and tested. The measured impedance bandwidths, ranging from 2.36 GHz to 2.50 GHz and from 5.01 GHz to 6.33 GHz separately, are obtained with return loss less than -10.00 dB, which meet the required bandwidths specification of WLAN and RFID. Good omni-directional radiation and appropriate gain characteristics in the desired frequency bands have been achieved.
2. Zhao, G. , F.-S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z.-B. Weng, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007.
3. Yang, H. Y. D., "Miniaturized dual-band printed antennas for wireless communications," IEEE AP-S International Symposium.
4. Lin, Y.-D. and P.-L. Chi, "Tapered bent folded monopole for dual-band wireless local area network (WLAN) systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 355-357, 2005.
5. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
6. Zhu, J., M. A. Antoniades, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact triband monopole antenna with single-cell metamaterial loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1031-1038, Apr. 2010.
7. Guo, Y. Y., X. M. Zhang, G. L. Ning, D. Zhao, X. W. Dai, and Q. Wu, "Miniaturized modified dipoles antenna for WLAN applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters , Vol. 24, 139-147, 2011.
8. Hu, W., Y.-Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011.
9. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, USA, 2001.
10. Chen, H. D. and H. T. Chen, "A CPW-fed dual-frequency monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 978-982, 2004.
11. Deepu, V. , R. K. Raj, M. Joseph, M. N. Suma, and P. Mohanan, "Compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed monopole antenna for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2351-2357, 2007.
12. Chen, J. S., "Dual-frequency annular-ring slot antennas fed by CPW feed and microstrip line feed," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 569-571, 2005.
13. Chen, S.-Y., Y.-C. Chen, and P. Hsu, "CPW-fed aperture-coupled slot dipole antenna for tri-band operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 535-537, 2008.
14. Papantonis, S. and E. Episkopou, "Compact dual band printed 2.5-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 57-68, 2011.
15. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
16. Liu, W.-C., "Broadband dual-frequency meandered CPW-fed monopole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 2004.