In this paper, a new design of a dual-polarized antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization is proposed. The main radiation structures comprise two pairs of petaloid patches, which are fed by coaxial lines. Behind the patches, a U-shaped ground is placed to improve the front-to-back ratio of the antenna. Stable and symmetric radiation patterns at slanted ±45° polarization have been obtained within the frequency band 1.71-2.17 GHz. A return loss of -14 dB is achieved and measured isolation between the two input ports is over 31 dB. The 3 dB beamwidths of the two polarizations is stable (65°) and the average gain of the proposed antenna is about 9dBi across the whole frequency band.
2. Su, D., D. Fu, T. N. C. Wang, and H. Yang, "Broadband polarization diversity base station antenna for 3G communication system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 493-500, 2008.
3. Kashani, H. F., M. Shahpari, and H. Ameri, "Dual band dual polarized antenna with high effciency for base transceiver stations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1371-1379, 2008.
4. Mak, K.-M., H. Wong, and K.-M. Luk, "A shorted bowtie patch antenna with a cross dipole for dual polarization," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 126-129, 2007.
5. Huang, Y.-H., Q.-Z. Liu, and S.-G. Zhou, "A wideband and dual frequency three-dimensional transition-fed circular patch antenna for indoor base station application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 47-54, 2009.
6. Secmen, M. and A. Hizal, "A dual-polarized wide-band patch antenna for indoor mobile communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 189-200, 2010.
7. Zaman, A. U., L. Manholm, and A. Derneryd, "Dual polarised microstrip patch antenna with high port isolation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, 551-552, 2007.
8. Cheng, D., "A dual-band dual-polarization microstrip antenna array prototype," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 5, 663-674, 2004.
9. Chung, , J.-Y., "Ultra-wideband dielectric-loaded horn antenna with dual-linear polarization capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 397-411, 2010.
10. Masa-Campos, J. L. and F. Gonzalez-Fernandez, "Dual linear/circular polarized plannar antenna with low profile double-layer polarizer of 45o tilted metallic strips for WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 221-231, 2009.
11. Nystrom, I. and D. Karlsson, "Reduction of back radiation and cross coupling in dual polarisation aperture coupled patch antennas," IEEE Antennas Propagation Society Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 4, 2222-2225, 1997.
12. Chiou, T. W. and K. L. Wong, "Broadband dual-polarised single microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, 399-401, 2002.