This paper presents a practical direction finding receiver based on six-port networks. To expand beam direction angles, improve measurement accuracy, and avoid phase ambiguity, we introduce a dual-baseline architecture into the direction finding receiver. We also propose a calibration technique based on support vector regression (SVR) for the following reasons: The nonlinearity of diode detectors and the asymmetry of six-port junctions can cause measurement phase errors. Moreover, the transmission parameters of two microwave channels differ with changes in received power. Results show that the SVR model can achieve a direction finding accuracy of 0.2932°.
2. Peng, H., Z. Yang, and T. Yang, "Calibration of a six-port receiver for direction finding using the artificial neural network technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 17-24, 2011.
3. Huyart, B. , J.-J. Laurin, R. G. Bosisio, and D. Roscoe, "A direction-finding antenna system using an integrated six-port circuit," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 12, 1508-1512, Dec. 1995.
4. Yakabe, T., F. Xiao, K. Iwamoto, F. M. Ghannouchi, K. Fujii, and H. Yabe, "Six-port based wave-correlator with application to beam direction finding," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 50, No. 2, 377-380, Apr. 2001.
5. Vinci, G., A. Koelpin, and R. Weigel, "Employing six-port technology for phase-measurement-based calibration of automotive radar," Microwave Conference, APMC.
6. Liu, Y., "Calibrating an industrial microwave six-port instrument using the artificial neural network technique," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 45, No. 2, 651-656, Apr. 1996.
7. Li, X., Y. Li, and J. Zhao, "Ann-based pad modeling technique for mosfet devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 303-319, 2011.
8. Yang, Z. Q., T. Yang, and Y. Liu, "Design of microstrip lange coupler based on EM-ANN model," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 27, 1381-1389, 2006.
9. Chen, K. , C. Ho, and H. Shiau, "Application of support vector regression in forecasting international tourism demand," Tourism Management Research, Vol. 4, 81-97, 2004.
10. Yang, Z. Q. , T. Yang, Y. Liu, and S. H. Han, "MIM capacitor modeling by support vector regression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 61-67, 2008.
11. Wei, C. , J. O. Chong, and S. S. Keerthi, "An improved conjugate gradient scheme to the solution of least squares SVM," IEEE Trans. Neural Network, Vol. 6, 498-501, Mar. 2005.
12. Xia, L. , R. Xu, and B. Yan, "LTCC interconnect modeling by support vector regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 67-75, 2007.
13. Peng, H. , Z. Yang, and T. Yang, "Calibration of a six-port position sensor via support vector regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 71-81, 2012.
14. Bermani, E. , A. Boni, A. Kerhet, and A. Massa, "Kernels evaluation of SVM-based estimators for inverse scattering problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 167-188, 2005.
15. Zheng, W. , X. G. Zuo, Y. K. Ma, and Z. S. Hou, "Algorithm of multi-baseline interferometer phase difference in fuzzy circumstance," International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Communications and Networks (CECNet), Xianning, China, Apr. 2011.
16. Cicolani, M. and F. Marchetti, "Phase and amplitude automatic measurements on pulsed RF signals," Twenty-second European Microwave Conference, Helsinki, Finland, Sept. 1992.
17. Vapnik , V., "The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory," Springer-Verlag, 1995.
18. Chang, C. C. and C. J. Lin, "LIBSVM: A library for support vector machines,", System documentation, National Taiwan University, 2004.
19. Bengio, Y. and Y. Grandvalet, "No unbiased estimator of the variance of K-fold cross-validation," J. Machine Learning Research, Vol. 5, 1089-1105, 2004.