A Gunn mounted active microstrip slot-ring antenna (ASRA) has been investigated for the reception of FM microwave signal. Current well/valley phenomenon has been successfully utilized to demodulate the modulation information. The monolithic behaviour of an active slot-ring antenna as a lock-in amplifier, FM (Frequency Modulation) to AM (Amplitude Modulation) converter and square law detector has been demonstrated in this paper. Theoretical analysis coupled with experimental results has been presented. The proposed receiving scheme is unique in the sense that it does not require IF electronics for the purpose of demodulation. It also works well in a multi-channel environment due to the excellent noise-squelching property of an Injection Locked Gunn Oscillator.
2. Montiel, C. M., L. Fan, and K. Chang, "An X-band self-mixing oscillator antenna for transeceiver and spatial power combining applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 10, 1546-1551, Oct. 1998.
3. Biswas, B. N., A. Bhattacharya, D. Mondal, and P. Lahiri, "A novel scheme for reception using an active microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 10, 1765-1768, Oct. 2000.
4. Bhattacharya, A. , B. N. Biswas, D. Mondal, P Lahiri, and A Sanyal, "Experimental observation on reception capability of an active patch antenna," Proc. INCURSI, 24-25, Burdwan, India, Feb. 22-24, 1999.
5. Biswas, B. N., A. Bhattacharya, D. Mondal, P. Lahiri, and A. Bose, "Active patch antenna: An oscillator first then an antenna," Proc. NCC-99, IIT, 752-759, Kharagpur, Jan. 29-31, 1999.
6. Biswas, B. N., A. Bhattacharya, D. Mondal, P. Lahiri, A. Bose, and S. Pal, "Rectangular active microstrip patch antennas revisited," IETE J. of Research, Vol. 45, No. 2, 135-145, Mar.-Apr. 1999.
7. Biswas, B. N., Phase-lock Theories and Applications, Oxford and IBH, New Delhi, 1988.
8. Chang, K., "Microwave Ring Circuit and Antennas," John Willy and Sons, Inc., 1996.
9. Montiel, C. M., L. Fan, K. Chang, and , "A novel active antenna with self-mixing and wide band Varacter-tuning capabilities for communication and vehicle identification applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 44, 2421-2430, Dec. 1996.
10. Navarro, J. A. and K. Chang, "Varacter tunable unipolar ring resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 41, 760-766, May 1993.
11. Chen, S. Y. and P. Hsu, "Broad-band radial slot antenna fed by coplanar waveguide for dual-frequency operation," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3448-3452, Nov. 2005.
12. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, Jr., I. Carrasquillo, D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable an nular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 439-448.
13. Hum, S. V. and H. Y. Xiong, "Analysis and design of a di®erentially-fed frequency agile microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3122-3130, Oct. 2010.
14. Uddin, J. , M. B. I. Reaz, M. A. Hasan, A. N. Nordin, M. I. Ibrahimy, and M. A. M. Ali, "UHF RFID antenna architectures and applications," Scientific Research and Essays, Vol. 5, No. 10, 1033-1051, May 18, 2010.
15. Sze, J.-Y., T.-H. Hu, and T.-J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with meandered grounded strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009.
16. Barkat, O., "Theoretical study of superconducting annular ring microstrip antenna with several dielectric layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 31-48, 2012.
17. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Munoz, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
18. Liu, F. S. , X. W. Shi, and S. D. Liu, "Study on the impedance-matching technique for high-temperature superconducting microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 281-284, 2007.
19. Kusuma, A. H. , A.-F. Sheta, I. M. Elshafiey, Z. Siddiqui, M. A. S. Alkanhal, S. Aldosari, S. A. Alshebeili, and S. F. Mahmoud, "A new low SAR antenna structure for wireless handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 23-40, 2011.
20. Wong, S.-K. , F. Kung, W. Lee, S. Maisurah, and M. N. B. Osman, "A wimedia compliant CMOS RF power amplifier for ultra-wideband (UWB) Transmitter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 329-347, 2011.
21. Chatterjee, , S., A. Bhattacharaya, and B. N. Biswas, "Active rectangular patch antenna --- A new design philosophy," International Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering & Technology (IJECET), Vol. 3, No. 1, 220-228, Jan.-Jun. 2012..
22. Biswas, B. N. , S. Chatterjee, and S. Pal, "Laser induced microwave oscillator," International Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering & Technology (IJECET), 211-219, Jan.-Jun. 2012.