An alternative approach for robust electromagnetic pulse (EMP) protection circuit was proposed by using a parallel coupled band-pass filter (BPF) with high thermal conductivity AlN substrate in between with a traditional gas discharge tube (GDT) and fast response metal oxide varistor (MOV). This proposed configuration can suppress slow as well as fast voltage surges. The fabricated BPF with a center frequency of 2.5 GHz on the high thermal conductive (180~200 W/m·K) AlN substrate could efficiently suppress high power over voltage surge. Through the purposed cascade protection configuration, it is observed that 6KV ESD fast introduced pulse (5 ns/50 ns) and 4 KV lightning surge pulse(1 us/50 us) were attenuated to 511V and 396 V, respectively, and that is capable to be applied to an EMP protection circuit in the front end of a linear amplifier applications.
2. Giri, D. V. and F. M. Tesche, "Classification of intentional electromagnetic environments (IEME)," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, 322-328, 2004.
3. Greetsai, V. N., A. H. Kozlovsky, V. M. Kuvshinnikov, V. M. Loborev, Y. V. Parfenov, O. A. Tarasov, and L. N. Zdoukhov, "Response of long lines to nuclear high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) ," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, 348-354, 1998.
4. Prather, W. D., C. E. Baum, R. J. Torres, F. Sabath, and D. Nitsch, "Survey of worldwide high-power wideband capabilities," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, 335-344, 2004.
5. Jiang, Z., W. Y. Yin, Q. F. Liu, and S. Zhang, "Transient responses of some antennas under the impact of an intentionally incident high-power electromagnetic pulse ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 365-381, 2010.
6. Zhang, X., J. Yang, Q. Yuan, Z. Wang, and X. Li, "Research on the suppressing behaviour of EMP protection device," 2011 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, 318-321, 2011.
7. Zhu, Y.-Z. and Y.-J. Xie, "Novel microstrip bandpass filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 77, 29-41, 2007.
8. Huang, C. L., J. J. Wang, and Y. P. Chang, "Using high permittivity ceramic substrates to design a bandpass filter with open stub ," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 771-773, 2007.
9. Lin, Y. F., C. H. Chen, K. Y. Chen, H. M. Chen, and K. L. Wong, "A miniature dual-mode bandpass filter using Al2O3 substrate," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, 580-582, 2008.
10. Liu, J. C., J. W. Wang, A. Das, and L. B. Chang, "Wide band double ring resonator with transmission zeros and resonance using high permittivity aluminum nitride substrate ," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2878-2881, 2009.
11. Xu, J. F., W. Y. Yin, and J. F. Mao, "Transient thermal analysis of GaN heterojunction transistors for high-power applications," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, 55-57, 2007.
12. Xu, J. F., W. Y. Yin, J. F. Mao, and L. W. Li, "Thermal transient response of GaAs FETs under intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, 340-346, 2008.
13. Ren, Z., W.-Y. Yin, Y.-B. Shi, and Q. H. Liu, "Thermal accumulation effects on the transient temperature responses in LDMOSFETs under the impact of a periodic electromagnetic pulse (EMP) ," IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 57, 345-352, 2010.
14. Yehoshua, S., High altitude nuclear explosion and EMP protection, at http://www.falconanalytics.com, 2009.
15. Weber, T., R. Krzikalla, and J. L. ter Haseborg, "Linear and nonlinear filters suppressing UWB pulses," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 46, 423-430, 2004.