The effect of temperature on the photonic band gap has been investigated. One dimensional photonic crystal in the form of Si/air multilayer system has been studied in this communication. The refractive index of silicon layers is taken as a function of temperature and wavelength both. Therefore, this study may be considered to be physically more realistic. It may be useful for computing the optical properties for wider range of wavelength as well as temperature. We can use the proposed structure as temperature sensing device, narrow band optical filter and in many optical systems.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486, 1987.
3. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1995.
4. Soukoulis, C. M., Photonic Band Gap Materials, NATO ASI, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1986.
5. Suthar, B. and A. Bhargava, "Tunable multi-channel filtering using 1-D photonic quantum well structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 43-51, 2011.
6. Bhargava, A. and B. Suthar, "Optical switching properties of kerrnonlinear chalcogenide photonic crystal," J. of Ovonic Research, Vol. 5, No. 6, 187, 2009.
7. Li, B. , J. Zhou, L. Li, X. J. Wang, X. H. Liu, and J. Zi, "Ferroelectric inverse opals with electrically tunable photonic band gap," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 4704, 2003.
8. Kumar, V. , K. S. Singh, S. K. Singh, and S. P. Ojha, "Broadening of omnidirectional photonic band gap in Si-based one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 14, 101-111, 2010.
9. Wang, X. , K. Kempa, Z. F. Ren, and B. Kimball, "Rapid photon flux switching in two-dimensional photonic crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 84, 1817, 2004.
10. Bermann, O. L. , Y. E. Lozovik, S. L. Eiderman, and R. D. Coalson, "Superconducting photonic crystals: Numerical calculations of the band structure," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 74, 092505, 2006.
11. Takeda, H. and K. Yoshino, "Tunable photonic band schemes in two-dimensional photonic crystals composed of copper oxide high-temperature superconductors," Phys. Rev. B , Vol. 67, 245109, 2005.
12. Lin, , W.-H., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Terahertz multichanneled filter in a superconducting photonic crystal," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 27155, 2010.
13. Halevi, P. and J. A. Reyes-Avendano, "Electrically tuned phase transition and band structure in a liquid-crystal-infilled photonic crystal," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 73, 040701 (R), 2006.
14. Li, H. H., "Refractive index of silicon and germanium and its wavelength and temperature derivatives," J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data, Vol. 9, 561, 1980.
15. Banerjee, A., "Enhanced temperature sensing by using one-dimensional ternary photonic band gap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 129-137, 2009.
16. Chang, Y.-H., Y.-Y. Jhu, and C.-J. Wu, "Temperature dependence of defect mode in a defective photonic crystal," Opt. Commun., 2011, [Online early access], doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2011.10.053.
17. Born, M. and , E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Cambridge, London, 1999.
18. Yeh, P., "Optical Waves in Layered Media," John Wiley and Sons, 1988.
19. Sakoda, K., Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer,Germany, 2001.
20. Ghosh, G., "Handbook of Thermo-optic Coefficients of Optical Materials with Applications," Academic Press, San Diego, CA,USA, 1997.