Reinforced concrete structures (RCS) have potential application in civil engineering and with the advent of nuclear engineering RCS to be capable enough to withstanding a variety of adverse environmental conditions. However, failures/loss of durability of designed structures due to premature reinforcement corrosion of rebar is a major constrain. Growing concern of safety of structure due to pre-mature deterioration has led to a great demand for development of non-destructive and non-contact testing techniques for monitoring and assessing health of RCS. This paper presents an experimental investigation of rebar corrosion by non-stationary thermal wave imaging. Experimental results have been proven, proposed approach is an effective technique for identification of corrosion in rebar in the concrete samples.
2. Maldague, X. and S. Marinetti, "Pulse phase infrared thermography," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 79, No. 5, 2694-2698, 1996.
3. Busse, G., D. Wu, and W. Karpen, "Thermal wave imaging with phase sensitive modulated thermography," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 71, No. 8, 3962-3965, 1992.
4. Maierhofer, C., A. Brink, M. Rollig, and H. Wiggenhauser, "Quantitative impulse-thermogra phy as non-destructive testing method in civil engineering-experimental results and numerical simulations," Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 19, 731-737, 2005.
5. Vavilov, V. and X. P. V. Maldague, "Optimisation of heating protocol in thermal NDT, short and long heating pulses: A discussion," Res Non-Destruct Evaluat., Vol. 6, 1-17, 1994.
6. Dumoulin, J. , J. Ibos, C. Ibarra-Castanedo, A. Mazioud, M. Marchetti, X. Maldague, and A. Bendada, "Active infrared thermography applied to defect detection and characterization on asphalt pavement samples: Comparison between experiments and numerical simulations," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 57, No. 18, 1759-1769, 2010.
7. Mulaveesala, R. and S. Tuli, "Digitized frequency modulated thermal wave imaging for nondestructive testing," Materials Evaluation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 1046-1050, 2005.
8. Mulaveesala, R. and S. Tuli, "Theory of frequency modulated thermal wave imaging for nondestructive subsurface defect detection," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 89, No. 19, 191913, 2006.
9. Mulaveesala, R. , P. Pal, and S. Tuli, "Interface study of bonded wafers by digitized linear frequency modulated thermal wave imaging," Sensors and Actuators, A: Physical, Vol. 128, No. 1, 209-216, 2006.
10. Mulaveesala, R. and S. Tuli, "Infrared non-destructive characterization of boiler tube," Sensor Letters, Vol. 6, No. 2, 312-318, 2008.
11. Mulaveesala, R. , J. S. Vaddi, and P. Singh, "Pulse compression approach to infrared nondestructive characterization," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 79, No. 9, 094901, 2008.
12. Ghali, V. S., N. Jonnalagadda, and R. Mulaveesala, "Three-dimensional pulse compression for infrared nondestructive testing," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No. 7, 832-833, 2009.
13. Ghali, V. S. and R. Mulaveesala, "Frequency modulated thermal wave imaging techniques for non-destructive testing," Insight: Non-destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring, Vol. 52, No. 9, 475-480, 2010.
14. Mulaveesala, R. and V. S. Ghali, "Coded excitation for infrared non-destructive testing of carbon fiber reinforced plastics," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 82, No. 5, 054902, 2011.
15. Ghali , V. S., R. Mulaveesala, and M. Takei, "Frequency-modulated thermal wave imaging for non-destructive testing of carbon fiber-reinforced plastic materials," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 22, No. 10, 104018, 2011.
16. Ghali, V. S., S. S. B. Panda, and R. Mulaveesala, "Barker coded thermal wave imaging for defect detection in carbon fbre-reinforced plastics," Insight: Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring, Vol. 53, No. 11, 621-624, 2011.
17. Ghali, V. S. and R. Mulaveesala, "Comparative data processing approaches for thermal wave imaging techniques for non-destructive testing," Sensing and Imaging, Vol. 12, No. 1-2, 15-33, 2011.
18. Mulaveesala, R., "Frequency modulated thermal wave imaging: Theory, modelling, simulation and applications,", Ph.D. dissertation, Centre for Applied Research in Electronics, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, New Delhi, India, 2006.