An analysis for circularly-polarized (CP) ring slot antennas fed by a coupling strip with resistive loading is presented. By treating the antenna as a two-port circuit, the amplitudes and phases of two orthogonal modes excited from the slot antenna can be found and expressed in terms of the S parameters of the circuit. The axial ratio calculated through the S parameters has a good agreement with that obtained from the pattern simulation of IE3D. The effects of varying key parameters of the coupling strip on the amplitudes and phases of the dual orthogonal modes are investigated in detail.
2. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
3. Bao, , X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Comparison of several novel annular-ring microstrip patch antennas for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1427-1438, 2012.
4. Wu, F.-X. , W.-M. Li, and S.-M. Zhang, "Dual-band CPW-fed circularly-polarized slot antenna for DMB/Wimax applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 185-193, 2012.
5. Liao, W. and Q.-X. Chu, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna with small frequency ratio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 145-152, 2010.
6. Deng, J.-Y. , Y.-Z. Yin, Y.-H. Huang, J. Ma, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for compass satellite service," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 113-118, 2009.
7. Wu, G.-L. , W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna fed by L-strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008.
8. Han, T.-Y. and C. Y. D. Sim, "Probe-feed circularly polarized square-ring microstrip antennas with thick substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 71-80, 2007.
9. Liu, W.-C. and P.-C. Kao, "Design of a probe-fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2007.
10. Wang, C. C. , T. Y. Lee, and J. S. Row, "A simple design for circularly polarized ring-slot antennas," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 2263-2265, 2011.
11. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antenna aperture-coupled to a microstripline," Electron. Lett., 49-50, 1985.
12. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wesley, New York, 1998.
13. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2002.