In this paper, we present a new type of a double-negative metamaterial (MTM) absorber based with resonant-magnetic structures, with a periodic array composed of a split-ring resonator (SRR) and two open complementary split-ring resonators (OCSRRs). In contrast to common absorber configurations, the absorber proposed in this paper does not use a metallic back plate or a resistive sheet. In order to eliminate the need for this metallic back plate, a planar array of SRRs is placed parallel to the incident wave propagation direction. An appropriately designed combination structure of two OCSRRs and a SRR exhibits negative permittivity and negative permeability in the same frequency band. Each unit cell is printed on both sides of an FR-4 substrate. A prototype absorber was fabricated with a planar array of 75 × 42 unit cells. Both simulations and experiments verify the effectiveness of the proposed backplane-less MTM absorber. The proposed backplane-less absorber can be used for microwave applications.
2. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Lett., 274021-274024, 2008.
3. Tao, H., N. I. Landy, C. M. Bingham, X. Zang, R. D. Averitt, and W. J. Padilla, "A metamaterial absorber for the terahertz regime: Design, fabrication and characterization ," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 7181-7188, 2008.
4. Cheng, Y. and H. Yang, "Design, simulation, and measurement of metamaterial absorber," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 52, 877-880, 2010.
5. Tao, H., C. M. Bingham, D. Pilon, K. Fan, A. C. Strkwerda, D. Shrekenhammer, W. J. Padilla, X. Zhang, and R. D. Averitt, "A dual band terahertz metamaterial absorber," J. Appl. Phys. D, Vol. 43, 225102-225106, 2010.
6. Li, M.-H., H.-L. Yang, and X.-W. Hou, "Perfect metamaterial absorber with dual bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010.
7. Lee, J. and S. Lim, "Bandwidth-enhanced and polarization-insensitive metamaterial absorber using double resonance," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, 8-9, 2011.
8. Cheng, Y., H. Yang, Z. Cheng, and N. Wu, "Perfect metamaterial absorber based on a split-ring-cross resonator," J. Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 102, 99-103, 2010.
9. Alici, K. B., F. Bilotti, L. Vegni, and E. Ozbay, "Experimental verification of metamaterial based subwavelength microwave absorbers ," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 108, 0831131-0831136, 2010.
10. Velez, A., F. Aznar, J. Bonache, J. M. Velazquez-Ahumada, and F. Martin, "Open complimentary split ring resonators (OCSRRs) and their application to wideband CPW band pass filters ," IEEE Microwave & Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, 197-199, 2009.
11. Katsarakis, N., T. Koschny, and M. Kafesaki, "Electric coupling to the magnetic resonance of split ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 15, 2943-2945, 2004.
12. Nicolson, A. M. and G. F. Ross, "Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by time-domain technique," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 19, No. 4, 377-382, 1970.
13. Depine, R. A. and A. Lakhtakia, "A new condition to identify isotropic dielectric-magnetic materials displaying negative phase velocity," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 41, 315-316, 2004.