In this letter, a novel compact dual-mode tri-band microstrip bandpass filter (BPF) is proposed using three sets of dual-mode resonators, i.e., the quarter-wavelength resonator (QWR) which is designed for the first passband, and two sets of stub loaded resonators (SLR) for the second and third passband, respectively. The center frequencies and bandwidths of three passbands can be flexibly tuned and designed. Multiple transmission zeros can be generated to improve the selectivity. Meanwhile, the BPF can obtain more compact size by adopting the folded resonators and extended feed lines. Finally, a tri-band microstrip BPF prototype with fractional bandwidths 18.3% at 1.8 GHz, 5.5% at 3.6 GHz and 12.2% at 5.25 GHz is designed. The measured results are in good agreement with the full-wave simulation results.
2. Wu, M.-S., Y.-Z. Chueh, J.-C. Yeh, and S.-G. Mao, "Synthesis of triple-band and quad-band bandpass filters using lumped-element coplanar waveguide resonators ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 433-451, 2009.
3. Liu, Y., W.-B. Dou, and Y.-J. Zhao, "A tri-band bandpass filter realized using tri-mode T-shape branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 425-444, 2010.
4. Chen, W.-Y., M.-H. Weng, and S.-J. Chang, "A new triband bandpass filter for GSM, WIMAX and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 365-381, 2012.
5. Chen, X.-P., K. Wu, and Z.-L. Li, "Dual-band and triple-band substrate integrated waveguide filters with chebyshev and quasi-elliptic responses," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2569-2578, 2007.
6. Zhang, Y., K. A. Zaki, J. A. Ruiz-Cruz, and A. E. Atia, Analytical synthesis of generalized multi-band microwave filters, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1273-1276, Jun. 2007.
7. Chen, F.-C. and Q.-X. Chu, "Design of compact tri-band bandpass filters using assembled resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 1, 165-171, 2009.
8. Zhang, X. Y., Q. Xue, and B. J. Hu, "Planar tri-band bandpass filter with compact size," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 5, 262-264, 2010.
9. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "Compact dual-mode triple-band bandpass filters using three pairs of degenerate modes in a ring resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1222-1229, 2011.
10. Chen, F.-C., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-H. Tu, "Design of compact dual- and tri-band bandpass filters using λ/4 and λ/2 resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 3, 638-641, 2009.
11. Chu, Q.-X., X.-H. Wu, and F.-C. Chen, "Novel compact tri-band bandpass filter with controllable bandwidths," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 12, 655-657, 2011.
12. Sánchez-Renedo, M., "High-selectivity tunable planar combline filter with source/load-multiresonator coupling," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 513-515, 2007.
13. Kim, C. H. and K. Chang, "Independently controllable dual-band bandpass filters using asymmetric stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3037-3047, 2011.