In this paper, a novel approach, namely nonlinear subprofile space (NSS), is proposed for radar target recognition using high-resolution range profile (HRRP). First, the HRRP samples are mapped into a high-dimensional feature space using nonlinear mapping. Second, the nonlinear features, namely nonlinear subprofiles, are extracted by nonlinear discriminant analysis. Then, for each class, the nonlinear subprofile space is formed using all the training nonlinear subprofiles of class. Finally, the minimum hyperplane distance classifier (MHDC) is used for classification. The aim of NSS method is to represent the feature area of target using nonlinear subprofile space, and effectively measure the distance between the test HRRP and feature area via minimum hyperplane distance (MHD) metric. The experimental results of measured data show that the proposed method has better performance of recognition than KPCA and KFDA.
2. Zyweck, A. and R. E. Bogner, "Radar target classification of commercial aircraft," IEEE Trans. Aerospace Electronic Systems, Vol. 32, No. 2, 598-606, Apr. 1996.
3. Eom, K. B. and R. Chellappa, "Noncooperative target classification using hierarchical modeling of high-range resolution radar signatures," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 45, No. 9, 2318-2326, Sep. 1997.
4. Kim, K. T., D. K. Seo, and H. T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using the MUSIC algorithm and invariant feature," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 3, 325-337, Mar. 2002.
5. Nelson, D. E., J. A. Starzyk, and D. D. Ensley, "Iterated wavelet transformation and discrimination for HRR radar target recognition," IEEE Trans. System Man and Cybernetics-part: System and Humans, Vol. 33, No. 1, 52-57, Jan. 2003.
6. Wong, S. K., "Non-cooperative target recognition in the frequency domain," IEE Proc. Radar Sonar Navig, Vol. 151, No. 2, 77-84, Apr. 2004.
7. Du, L., H. W. Liu, Z. Bao, and J. Y. Zhang, "A two-distribution compounded statistical model for radar HRRP target recognition," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2226-2238, Jun. 2006.
8. Chen, B., H. W. Liu, and Z. Bao, PCA and kernel PCA for radar high range resolution profiles recognition, 2005 IEEE International Radar Conference, 9-12, Arlington, VA, USA, May 2005.
9. Mika, S., G. Ratsch, J. Weston, B. Scholkopf, and K. R. Muler, Fisher discriminant analysis with kernels, IEEE International Workshop on Neural Networks for Signal Processing, Berlin, Aug. 1999.
10. Fu, J. S. and W. L. Yang, "KFD-based multiclass synthetical discriminant analysis for radar HRRP recognition," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2--3, 169-178, 2012.
11. Novak, L. M. and G. J. Owirka, Radar target recognition using an eigen-image approach, IEEE National Radar Conference, Atlanta, USA, Mar. 29--31, 1994.
12. Duda, R., R. Hart, and D. Stock, Pattern Classification, Wiley, 2002.