In this paper, a new ultra-wideband (UWB) disc antenna compatible with cognitive radio is presented. The proposed antenna is developed to operate from 0.77 to 11.23 GHz. It consists of a circular disc radiator with a rectangular slot on the patch and the implementation of the bevel technique on the ground plane. A prototype of the antenna has been constructed and shows adequate impedance matching, radiation pattern and gain for cognitive radio applications.
2. Mitola, J., Introduction in Cognitive Radio Architecture: The Engineering Foundations of Radio XML, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
3. Arslan , H., Cognitive Radio, Software Defined Radio, and Adaptive Wireless Systems, Springer, Netherland, 2007.
4. Fett, B. A., "Cognitive Radio Technology," Elsevier, 2009.
5. Oh, S.-H., H. Song, J. T. Aberle, B. Bakkaloglu, and C. Chakrabarti, "Automatic antenna-tuning unit for software-defined and cognitive radio," Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing, Vol. 7, No. 9, 85-88, Nov. 2007.
6. Abu Tarboush, H. F., S. Khan, R. Nilavalan, H. S. Al-Raweshidy, and D. Budimir, "Reconfigurable wideband patch antenna for cognitive radio," 2009 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, 141-144, Nov. 2009.
7. Hall, P. S., P. Gardner, J. Kelly, E. Ebrahimi, M. R. Hamid F. Ghanem, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Reconfigurable antenna challenges for future radio systems," 2009 Berlin EuCAP Antennas and Propagation Conference, 949-955, Jun. 2009.
8. Neihart, N. M., S. Roy, and D. J. Allstot, "A parallel, multi-resolution sensing technique for multiple antenna cognitive radios," ISCAS 2007 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2530-2533, May 2007.
9. Zhang, R. and Y.-C. Liang, "Exploiting multi-antennas for opportunistic spectrum sharing in cognitive radio networks," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 2, No. 1, 88-102, Feb. 2008.
10. Wu, T. , R. L. Li, S. Y. Eom, K. Lim, S. I. Jeon, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A multiband/scalable reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio base stations," 2008 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2008.
11. Harada, H., "A software defined cognitive radio prototype," IEEE PIMRC 2007 18th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, 1-5, Sep. 2007.
12. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005.
13. Sim, , C.-Y.-D., W.-T Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "A circular-disc monopole antenna with band-rejection function for ultrawideband application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1607-1613, Jun. 2009.
14. Computer Simulation Technology (CST) Microwave Studio, Electromagnetic Field Simulation software, , Darmstadt, Germany, www.cst.com .
15. Grayver, E., "Standardization efforts for software-defined radio," 2010 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1-8, Mar. 2010.
16. Cai, Y., H. Cui, and Z. Feng, "The research of the frequency dependency of UWB antenna radiation pattern," Proceeding of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband, 1-4, 2010.
17. Kelly, J. R., E. Ebrahimi, P. S. Hall, P. Gardner, and F. Ghanem, "Combined wideband and narrowband antennas for cognitive radio applications," 2008 IET Seminar on Cognitive Radio and Software Defined Radios: Technologies and Techniques, 1-4, Sep. 2008.
18. Ghanem, F., P. S. Hall, and J. R. Kelly, "Two port frequency reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radios," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 11, 534-536, May 2009.
19. Ebrahimi, E. and P. S. Hall, "A dual port wide-narrowband antenna for cognitive radio," EuCAP 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 809-812, Mar. 2009.
20. Rao, P. H., "Antenna confirations for software defid radio and cognitive radio communication architecture," ICWCSC 2010, International Conference on Wireless Communication and Sensor Computing, Jan. 1-4, 2010.
21. Ebrahimi, E. and P. S. Hall, "Integrated wide-narrow band antenna for multiband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 2, 425-430, Feb. 2010.