A novel K-band harmonic dielectric resonator oscillator (DRO) is presented. Two identical parallel feedback DROs constitute a symmetric structure by sharing the same dielectric resonator (DR). As a result of this special structure, the odd frequency output components offset while the even harmonic frequency components superimposed at the output port. Odd and even mode analysis method is used in theoretical analysis. As the experimental results shown, the fundamental frequency is 9.45 GHz and the output power at the second harmonic frequency of 18.9 GHz is 9.45 dBm. The suppression of fundamental frequency is about 15.5 dBc. A phase noise of -97 dBc/Hz@100 KHz and -78 dBc/Hz@10 KHz is achieved at the output frequency.
2. Xia, Q., Z. X. Tang, and B. Zhang, "A Ku-band push-push dielectric resonator oscillator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1859-1866, 2010.
3. Pavio, A. M. and M. A. Smith, "A 20-40 GHz push-push dielectric resonator oscillator," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1346-1349, 1985.
4. Su, P. , Z. X. Tang, and B. Zhang, "Push-push dielectric resonator oscillator using substrate integrated waveguide power combiner," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 105-113, 2012.
5. Sinnesbichler, F. X., H. Geltinger, and G. R. Olbrich, "A 38-GHz push-push oscillator based on 25-GHz fT BJT's," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 9, No. 4, 151-153, Apr. 1999.
6. Dussopt, L. and G. M. Rebeiz, "A low phase noise 18-GHz push-push VCO," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 1, 4-6, Jan. 2003.
7. Lee, O. , J.-G. Kim, K. Lim, J. Laskar, and S. Hong, "A 60-GHz push-push InGap HBT VCO with dynamic frequency divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 679-681, Oct. 2005.
8. Grebennikov, A., RF and Microwave Transistor Oscillator Design, 1st Ed., Wiley, New York, 2007.
9. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2004.