We present an application of the Akaike Information Criterion (AIC) for an automatic and accurate determination of the acoustic and electromagnetic emission (AE and EME) onset times. The onset time information is used to derive the time delays between correlated AE and EME events from rock specimens during laboratory fracture experiments. The observed correlation in time between AE and EME events is consistent with EME release during microcrack growth. Relevant load drops are accompanied by AE bursts, expected to be generated during macrocracks propagation.
2. Carpinteri, A. and G. Lacidogna, "Damage monitoring of an historical masonry building by the acoustic emission technique," Materials and Structures (RILEM), Vol. 39, 161, 2006.
3. Carpinteri, A., G. Lacidogna, and G. Niccolini, "Critical behavior in concrete structures and damage localization by Acoustic Emission," Key Eng. Mat., Vol. 312, 305, 2006.
4. Lacidogna, G., A. Carpinteri, A. Manuello, G. Durin, G. Niccolini, and A. Agosto, "Acoustic and electromagnetic emissions as precursor phenomena in failure processes,", 2010, Strain doi: 10.1111/j.1475-1305.2010.00750.x.
5. Carpinteri, A. , G. Lacidogna, A. Manuello, G. Niccolini, A. Schiavi, and A. Agosto, "Mechanical and electromagnetic emissions related to stress-induced cracks," Experimental Techniques, Vol. 36, No. 3, 53, 2012.
6. Warwick, J. W., C. Stoker, and T. R. Meyer, "Radio emission associated with rock fracture: Possible application to the great chilean earthquake of May 22, 1960," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 87, 2851, 1982.
7. Matsuda, T., C. Yamanaka, and M. Ikeya, "Behavior of stress-induced charges in cement containing quartz crystals," Phys. Stat. Sol. A, Vol. 2, 359, 2001.
8. Klyuev, V. A., A. G. Lipson, Y. P. Toporov, A. D. Aliev, A. E. Chlyk, and B. V. Deriaghin, "Charactericescoye islucenye pri rasruscenii tverdikh tel i naruscenii adgesionni sviasei b vacuume," Dokl. Acad. Nauk SSSR, Vol. 279, 415, Russia, 1984.
9. Mognaschi, R. and U. Zezza, "Detection of electromagnetic emissions from fracture of rocks and building stones under stress," 5th International Congress on Restoration of Architectural Heritage, 553-562, Florence 2000.
10. Sleeman, R. and T. van Eck, "Robust automatic P-phase picking: An on-line implementation in the analysis of broadband seismogram recordings," Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, Vol. 113, 265, 1999.
11. Earle, P. and P. M. Shearer, "Characterization of global seismograms using an automatic-picking algorithm," Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol. 84, 366, 1994.
12. Tong, C. and B. L. N. Kennett, "Automatic seismic event recognition and later phase identification for broadband seismograms," Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol. 86, 1896, 1996.
13. Withers, M., et al., "A comparison of select trigger algorithms for automated global seismic phase and event location," Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol. 88, 95, 1998.
14. Anant, K. S. and F. U. Dowla, "Wavelet transform methods for phase identification in three-component seismograms," Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol. 87, 1598, 1997.
15. Kurz, J., C. Grosse, and H. Reinhardt, "Strategies for reliable automatic onset time picking of acoustic emissions and of ultrasound signals in concrete," Ultrasonics, Vol. 43, 538, 2005.
16. Zhang, H., C. Thurber, and C. Rowe, "Automatic P-wave arrival detection and picking with multiscale wavelet analysis for single-component recordings," Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol. 93, 1904, 2003.
17. Hafez, A. G., T. A. Khan, and T. Kohda, "Clear P-wave arrival of weak events and automatic onset determination using wavelet filter banks," Digital Signal Proc., Vol. 20, 715, 2010.
18. Akaike, H., "A new look at the statistical model identification," Trans. Automat. Contr., Vol. 19, 716, 1974.
19. Yokota, T., S. Zhou, M. Mizoue, and I. Nakamura, "An automatic measurement of arrival time of seismic waves and its application to an on-line processing system," Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst., Vol. 55, 449, 1981.
20. Maeda, N., "A method for reading and checking phase times in auto-processing system of seismic wave data," Zisin, Vol. 38, 365, 1985.
21. Verkaeren, J. and P. Bartholome, "Petrology of the San Leone magnetite skarn deposit (S. W. Sardinia)," Economic Geology, Vol. 74, No. 53, 1979.
22. Santi, P., et al., "Leucite phonolite millstones from the Orvieto production centre: New data and insights into the roman trade," Periodico di Mineralogia, Vol. 73, No. 3, 57, 2004.
23. Frid, V. , J. Goldbaum, A. Rabinovitch, and D. Bahat, "Depolarization in percussion drilling of Solenhofen limestone," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 97, 014908-1, 1997.
24. Frid, V., A. Rabinovitch, and D. Bahat, "Crack velocity measurement by induced electromagnetic radiation," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 356, 160, 2006.
25. Arrighetti, W., P. DeCupis, and G. Gerosa, "Electromagnetic radiation from moving fractal sources: A plane-wave spectral approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 1-19, 2006.
26. Pirhadi, A. and M. Hakkak, "An analytical investigation of the radiation characteristics of infinitesimal dipole antenna embedded in partially reflective surfaces to obtain high directivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 137-155, 2006.
27. Chen, Z. and K.-M. Huang, "Using the oscillating dipoles model to study the electromagnetic radiation induced by fracture of rocks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 14, 221-231, 2010.