A novel dual-side mushroom ground plane (DMGP) structure is proposed for the noise suppression in high-speed multilayer printed circuit boards (PCBs). The proposed method is localized suppression technique where a dual-side mushroom structure is placed below the noise-sensitive device. In multilayer PCBs with DMGP, noise between two ports with large or small ports spacing can be minimized effectively, which is flexible for the layout of mixed-signal system. Wideband noise suppression is achieved for the fabricated boards even though the port spacing is only 3.5 mm.
2. Kim, Y. J., U. Choi, J. C. Woo, and Y. S. Kim, "Selection of decoupling capacitors to reduce the switching noise," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1079-1087, 2007.
3. Chang, C.-S., J.-Y. Li, S.-X. Lin, W.-J. Lin, M.-P. Houng, L.-S. Chen, and D.-B. Lin, "Simultaneous switching noise suppression using nickel-ferrite thin films," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1685-1694, 2009.
4. Huang, H.-F., S.-Y. Liu, and W. Guo, "A hierarchical tree shaped power distribution network based on constructal theory for EBG structure power plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 173-191, 2012.
5. Eom, D.-S., J. Byun, and H.-Y. Lee, "New structure of composite power plane using spiral EBG and external magnetic material for SSN suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 69-77, 2010.
6. He, H.-S., X.-Q. Lai, Q. Ye, and Q. Wang, "Wideband SSN suppression in high-speed PCB using novel planar EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 29-39, 2010.
7. Abhari, R. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Suppression of the parallel-plate noise in high-speed circuits using metallic electromagnetic band-gap structures," IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest, 493-496, Seattle, WA, Jun. 2-7, 2002.
8. Kamgaing, T. and O. M. Ramahi, "A novel power plane with integrated simultaneous switching noise mitigation capability using high impedance surface," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 1, 21-23, Jan. 2003.
9. Lin, D.-B., K.-C. Hung, C.-T. Wu, and C. S. Chang, "A serpent bridge electromagnetic bandgap structure for suppressing simultaneous switching noise," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 213-220, 2009.
10. He, Y., , L. Li, C.-H. Liang, and Q. H. Liu, "EBG structures with fractal topologies for ultra-wideband ground bounce noise suppression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1365-1374, 2010.
11. Kim, Y. J., K. B. Yang, and Y. S. Kim, "Wideband simultaneous switching noise suppression in mobile phones using miniaturized electromagnetic bandgap structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1929-1938, 2009.
12. Wu, T. L., C. C. Wang, Y. H. Lin, T. K. Wang, and G. Chang, "A novel power plane with super wideband elimination of ground bounce noise on high speed circuits," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett.,, Vol. 15, No. 3, 174-176, Mar. 2005.
13. Kim, K. H. and J. E. Shutt-Aine, "Analysis and modeling of hybrid planar-type electromagnetic-bandgap structures and feasibility study on power distribution network applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 178-186, Jan. 2008.
14. Wang, C.-L., G.-H. Shiue, W.-D. Guo, and R.-B. Wu, "A systematic design to suppress wideband ground bounce noise in high-speed circuits by electromagnetic-bandgap-enhanced split powers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 178-186, Jan. 2008.
15. Bait-Suwailam, M. M. and O. M. Ramahi, "Simultaneous switching noise mitigation in high-speed circuits using complementary split-ring resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 8, 563-564, Apr. 2010.
16. Kang, H.-D., H. Kim, S.-G. Kim, and J.-G. Yook, "A localized enhanced power plane topology for wideband suppression of simultaneous switching noise," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 2, 373-380, May 2010.
17. Li, J. J., J. F. Mao, and M. Tang, "Mushroom-type ground plane structure for wideband SSN suppression in high-speed circuits," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 12, 646-648, Dec. 2011.