A defective Photonic Band Gap device based on dilute nitrides is proposed as a high performance active wavelength filter for wavelength division multiplexing applications. The analyzed structure is made of GaInNAs-GaInAs multi quantum well ridge waveguides in which a geometrical defect in the periodic lattice induces selective transmission spectral regions centered at different wavelengths inside the photonic band gap. The multichannel filter performances are evaluated as a function of both the defect length and the injected current value. The analysis is performed by using proprietary codes, based on the Bidirectional Beam Propagation Method with the Method of Lines introducing the rate equations. Highly selective 11-channel active filter with minimum value of the bandwidth at half-height Δλ = 0.105 nm with gain G = 16.51 dB has been assessed.
2. Wu, C.-J., M.-H. Lee, W.-H. Chen, and T.-J. Yang, "A mid-infrared multichanneled filter in a photonic crystal heterostructure containing negative-permittivity materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 10, 1360-1371, 2011.
3. Grande, M. , G. Calo, V. Petruzzelli, and A. D'Orazio, "High-Q photonic crystal nanobeam cavity based on a silicon nitride membrane incorporating fabrication imperfections and a low-index material layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 191-204, 2012.
4. D'Orazio, A. , M. De Sario, V. Marrocco, and V. Petruzzelli, "Photonic crystal drop filter exploiting resonant cavity configuration," IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, Vol. 7, No. 1, 10-13, 2008.
5. D'Orazio, A., M. De Sario, V. Ingravallo, V. Petruzzelli, and F. Prudenzano, "Infiltrated liquid crystal photonic bandgap devices for switching and tunable filtering," Fiber and Integrated Optics, Vol. 22, No. 3, 161-172, 2003.
6. Calo, G., A. Farinola, and V. Petruzzelli, "Equalization in photonic bandgap multiwavelength filters by the Newton binomial distribution," Journal of the Optical Society of America B: Optical Physics, Vol. 28, No. 7, 1668-1679, 2011.
7. D'Orazio, A., M. De Sario, V. Gadaleta, V. Petruzzelli, and F. Prudenzano, "Meander microstrip photonic bandgap filter using a Kaiser tapering window," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 19, 1165-1167, 2001.
8. Park, H. G., J. K. Hwang, J. Huh, H. Y. Ryu, S. H. Kim, J. S. Kim, and Y. H. Lee, "Characteristics of modified single-defect two-dimensional photonic crystal lasers," EEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 38, 1353-1365, 2002.
9. Stomeo, T., F. Prudenzano, M. D. Vittorio, V. Errico, A. Salhi, A. Passaseo, R. Cingolani, and V. Petruzzelli, ",Design and fabrication of active and passive photonic crystal resonators ," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 83, No. 4-9, 1823-1825, 2006.
10. Matsubara, H., S. Yoshimoto, H. Saito, Y. Jianglin, Y. Tanaka, and S. Noda, "GaN photonic-crystal surface-emitting laser at blue-violet wavelengths," Science, Vol. 319, 445-447, 2008.
11. Lee, P.-T., T.-W. Lu, and K.-U. Sio, "Multi-functional light emitter based on band-edge modes near Γ-point in honeycomb photonic crystal," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 29, No. 12, 1797-1801, 2011.
12. Carlone, , G., A. D'Orazio, M. De Sario, L. Mescia, V. Petruzzelli, F. Prudenzano, "Design of double-clad erbium-doped holey fiber amplifier," Journal of Non-crystalline Solids, Vol. 351, No. 21-23, 1840-1845, 2005.
13. Prudenzano, F., L. Mescia, A. D'Orazio, M. De Sario, V. Petruzzelli, A. Chiasera, and M. Ferrari, "Optimization and characterization of rare-earth-doped photonic-crystal-fiber amplifier using genetic algorithm," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, No. 8, 2135-2142, 2007.
14. Wang, Z.-Y., X.-M. Cheng, X.-Q. He, S.-L. Fan, and W.-Z. Yan, "Photonic crystal narrow filters with negative refractive Photonic crystal narrow filters with negative refractive," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 421-430, 2008.
15. Alexandropoulos, D., M. J. Adams, Z. Hatzopoulos, and D. Syvridis, "Proposed scheme for polarization insensitive GaInNAs-based semiconductor optical amplifis," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 41, 817-822, 2005.
16. Calo, G., D. Alexandropoulos, A. D'Orazio, and V. Petruzzelli, "Wavelength selective switching in dilute nitrides multi quantum well photonic band gap waveguides," Physica Status Solidi (B) Basic Research, Vol. 248, No. 5, 1212-1215, 2011.
17. D'Orazio, A., M. De Sario, V. Petruzzelli, and F. Prudenzano, "Bidirectional beam propagation method based on the method of lines for the analysis of photonic band gap structures," Opt. Quantum Electron., Vol. 35, 629-640, 2003.
18. Calo, G., A. D'Orazio, M. Grande, V. Marrocco, and V. Petruzzelli, "Active InGaAsP/InP photonic bandgap waveguides for wavelength-selective switching," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 47, No. 2, 172-181, 2011.
19. Calo, G., V. Petruzzelli, L. Mescia, and F. Prudenzano, "Study of gain in photonic band gap active InP waveguides," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 26, 2414-2422, 2009.