A new design for circularly-polarized (CP) slot antennas is first described. The antenna is a combination of a shorted square-ring slot and an L-shaped linear slot, and its CP operation frequency can be easily tuned under the condition that the slot area is unchanged. Based on the CP design, two reconfigurable slot antennas are then developed. One is a frequency reconfigurable antenna, whose CP operation frequency can be switched between two adjacent frequencies. The other is a polarization reconfigurable antenna, whose polarization can be switched between two orthogonal CP senses. The two reconfigurable antennas are realized using PIN diodes. Details of the designs and experimental results are shown.
2. Chen, W. S., C. C. Huang, and K. L. Wong, "Microstrip-line-fed printed shorted ring-slot antennas for circular polarization," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, 137-140, 2001.
3. Lee, T. Y. and J. S. Row, "Frequency reconfigurable circular polarized slot antennas with wide tuning range," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 1501-1505, 2011.
4. White, C. R. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Single- and dual-polarized tunable slot-ring antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, 19-26, 2009.
5. Ho, M. H., M. T. Wu, C. I. G. Hsy, and J. Y. Sze, "An RHCP/LHCP switchable slotline-fed slot ring antenna ," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, 30-33, 2005.
6. Fries, M. K., M. Grani, and R. Vahldieck, "A reconfigurable slot antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, 490-492, 2003.
7. Zhao, Y. L., C. Gai, L. Liu, J. P. Xiong, J. Chen, and Y. C. Jiao, "A novel polarization reconfigurable annular ring-slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11-12, 1587-1592, 2008.
8. Chen, Y. B. , X. F. Liu, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "A frequency reconfigurable CPW-fed slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1673-1678, 2007.
9. Soliman, E. A., W. D. Raedt, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Reconfigurable slot antenna for polarization diversity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 905-916, 2009.
10. Zhao, Y. L., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, Z. B. Weng, and F. S. Zhang, "A novel polarization reconfigurable ring slot antenna with frequency agility," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 540-543, 2009.