A novel compact monopole antenna with triple-band operation is proposed in this paper. The proposed antenna, fed by a 50-Ω microstrip line, consists of an inverted-L-shaped microstrip feed line loaded with a parasitic strip and a protrudent mirrored quasi-F-shaped strip on the ground plane, with a compact overall size of 20×25 mm². The protrudent mirrored quasi-F-shaped strip is aimed to excite a resonant mode at 2.4 GHz. Meanwhile, with the introduction of the parasitic strip to the inverted-L shaped strip, two adjacent resonant frequencies at 5.2/5.8 GHz are obtained. The numerical and experimental results exhibit the designed antenna operates over triple frequency ranges, satisfying the standards of wireless local area networks (WLAN) both in IEEE 802.11 b/a/g at 2.4-GHz, 5.2-GHz, and 5.8-GHz. Besides, the antenna is fabricated and measured, and the simulation and measurement results of the return loss, radiation patterns and peak antenna gains are studied showing that the presented antenna is in good performance.
2. Li, F., L.-S. Ren, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact triple-band monopole antenna with C-shaped and S-shaped meander strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 107-116, 2010.
3. Rezaeieh, S. A., "Compact dual band CPW-fed monopole antenna with L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," 19th Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR), 1602-1604, 2011.
4. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Bidirectional high gain antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 99-106, 2009.
5. Zhang, S.-M., F.-S. Zhang, W.-M. Li, W.-Z. Li, and H.-Y. Wu, "A multi-band monopole antenna with two di®erent slots for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 173-181, 2012.
6. Ren, F.-C., F.-S. Zhang, J.-H. Bao, B. Chen, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact triple-frequency slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 21-30, 2011.
7. Lee, Y.-C. and J.-S. Sun, "Compact printed slot antennas for wireless dual-and multi-band operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 289-305, 2008.
8. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, and D. Wake, "Triple band planar inverted F antennas for handheld devices," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 2, 112-114, 2000.
9. Hsiao, F.-R. and K.-L. Wong, "Compact planar inverted-F patch antenna for triple-frequency operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 6, 459-462, 2002.
10. Dou, W. P. and Y. W. M. Chia, "Novel meandered planar inverted-F antenna for triple-frequency operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 1, 58-60, Oct. 5, 2000; Dig.,112-115.
11. Abaga Abessolo, M. A., A. El Moussaoui, and N. Aknin, "Dual-band monopole antenna with omega particles for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 27-34, 2011.
12. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Tseng, "Small planar monopole antenna with a shorted parasitic inverted-L wire for wireless communications in the 2.4-, 5.2-, and 5.8-GHz bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1903-1905, 2004.
13. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact multiband monopole antenna with a defected ground plane," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 7, 652-655, 2008.
14. Li, R.-H., X.-W. Shi, N. Zhang, Y.-F. Wang, and Y.-J. Wang, "A novel compact dual-band antenna for WLAN applications ," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1476-1479, 2012.
15. Chen, W.-S. and K.-Y. Ku, "Band-rejected design of the printed open slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 4, 1163-1169, 2008.