We study the Doppler features of electromagnetic scattering from a wind turbine with rotating blades in the presence of ground. Image theory in conjunction with a shooting-and-bouncing ray code, Ahilo, is used to carry out the dynamic signature simulation. The observed features in the simulation are corroborated with laboratory measurements. In addition, the Doppler features from a wind turbine in the presence of a moving ground is simulated and analyzed.
2. Sandifer, J. B., T. Crum, E. Ciardi, and R. Guenther, "A way forward: Wind farm --- Weather radar coexistence," Proc. Windpower 2009, Chicago, IL, May 2009.
3. Kent, B. M., A. Buterbaugh, K. C. Hill, G. Zelinski, R. Hawley, L. Cravens, T. Van, C. Vogel, and T. Coveyou, "Dynamic radar cross section and radar Doppler measurements of commercial general electric windmill power turbines part 1 --- Predicted,", Vol. 50, 211-219, Apr. 2008.
4. Naqvi, A. , S. Yang, and H. Ling, "Investigation of Doppler features from wind turbine scattering," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 485-488, 2010.
5. Greving, G., W. Biermann, and R. Mundt, "Wind turbines as distorting scattering objects for radar-clutter aspects and visibility," Proc. Int. Radar Symp. 2010, Vilnius, Lithuania, Jun. 2010.
6. Greving, G., W. Biermann, and R. Mundt, "On the relevance of the measured or calculated RCS for objects on the ground --- Case wind turbines," Proc. 3rd European Conf. Antennas Propagat., 2216-2220, Berlin, DE, 2009.
7. Ram, S. S., R. Bhalla, and H. Ling, "Simulation of human radar signatures in presence of ground," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int.. Symp. Dig., Charleston, Jun. 2009.
8., AHILO: Computer Code for Solving Electromagnetic Problems, Jan. 12, 2012, http://www.ahilo.net/AHILO web/Overview.html.
9. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, 314-325, Wiley, New Jersey, 1989.
10. Wang, X. , C.-F. Wang, Y.-B. Gan, and L.-W. Li, "Electromagnetic scattering from circular target above or below rough surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 207-227, 2003.
11. Vaitilingom, L. and A. Khenchaf, "Radar cross sections of sea and ground clutter estimated by two scale model and small slope approximation in HF-VHF bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 311-338, 2011.
12. Whitelonis, N., S. Yang, and H. Ling, "Application of near-field to far-¯eld transformation to Doppler features from wind turbine scattering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, 1660-1665, Mar. 2012.