The use of carbon-fiber tissue as a replacement for metal radiating element has been investigated to fabricate microwave antennas embedded in composite material panels. A single ply of a dry carbon-fiber tissue with a 0.15 Ω/sq sheet resistance value and a square shape (50 mm × 50 mm) acts as the radiating element. It has been embedded inside the glass-fiber and polyester resin composite laminate by using the infusion technique. The measured radiofrequency characteristics of the pure composite antenna are presented, discussed and compared to those of a reference counterpart, made from a plain metal sheet. The pure composite antenna exhibits a measured gain strictly alike to that of the reference antenna up to 2.1 GHz.
2. Bayram, Y., Y. Zhou, J. L. Volakis, B.-S. Shim, and N. A. Kotov, "Conductive textiles and polymer-ceramic composites for novel load bearing antennas," Proceedings of Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, San-Diego, USA, Jul. 2008.
3. Yang, L., A. Rida, R. Vyas, and M. M. Tentzeris, "RFID tag and RF structures on a paper substrate using inkjet-printing technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2894-2901, 2007.
4. Mehdipour, A., C. W. Trueman, A. R. Sebak, and S. V. Hoa, "Carbon-fiber composite T-Match folded Bow-Tie antenna for RFID applications," Proceedings of Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Charleston, USA, Jun. 2009.
5. Galehdar, A., P. J. Callus, and K. Ghorbani, "A novel method of conductivity measurements for carbon-fiber monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2120-2126, 2011.
6. Galehdar, A., W. S. T. Rowe, K. Ghorbani, P. J. Callus, S. John, and C. H.Wang, "The effect of ply orientation on the performance of antennas in or on carbon fiber composites," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 123-136, 2011.
7. Seidel, T. J., A. Galehdar, W. S. T. Rowe, S. John, P. J. Callus, and K. Ghorbani, "The anisotropic conductivity of unidirectional carbon fibre reinforced polymer laminates and its effect on microstrip antennas," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1470-1473, Yokohama, Japan, Dec. 2010.
8. Sarto, M. S., "Hybrid MFIE/FDTD analysis of the shielding effectiveness of a composite enclosure excited by a transient plane wave," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 4, 946-950, 2000.
9. Holloway, C. L., M. S. Sarto, and M. Johansson, "Analyzing carbon-fiber composite materials with equivalent-layer models IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility,", Vol. 47, No. 4, 833-844, 2005.
10. Son, S. H., S. Y. Eom, and W. Hwang, "Developement of a smart-skin phased array system with a honeycomb sandwich microstrip antenna," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 17, No. 3, 035012, 2008.
11. Galehdar, A., K. J. Nicholson, W. S. T. Rowe, and K. Ghorbani, "The conductivity of unidirectional and quasi isotropic carbon ¯ber composites," Proceedings of European Microwave Conference, 882-885, Paris, France, Sep. 2010.
12. Liu, D., U. Pfeiffer, J. Gizyb, and B. Gaucher, Advanced Millimeter-wave Technologies, 163-170, Chap. 5, Wiley Ed., 2009.
13. Hautcoeur, J., F. Colombel, X. Castel, M. Himdi, and E. Motta Cruz, "Optically transparent monopole antenna with high radiation e±ciency manufactured with silver grid layer (AgGL)," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 20, 1014-1016, 2009.