A compact wide-band bandpass filter (BPF) with high frequency selectivity using stepped impedance resonators (SIRs) is presented in this paper. The proposed BPF consists of four SIRs, which share a common grounded via-hole. To improve the frequency selectivity, multiple transmission zeros (TZs) are employed in the stopband by mixed electric/magnetic (EM) coupling. The novel filter with 32.2% fractional bandwidth (FBW) has been designed and fabricated to verify the validity of the proposed method. Measured results are in good agreement with the electromagnetic simulation. The measured results show three finite transmission zeros in the stopband, located at 2.47 GHz, 5.26 GHz, 9.39 GHz, respectively. The circuit size of proposed BPF only occupies 3.10 x 13.30 mm2.
2. Coudos, S. K., Z. D. Zaharis, and T. V. Yioultsis, "Application of a differential evolution algorithm with strategy adaptation to the design of multi-band microwave filters for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 123-137, 2010.
3. Wu, L.-S., J.-F. Mao, W. Shen, and W.-Y. Yin, "Extended doublet bandpass filters implemented with microstrip resonator and full-/half-mode substrate integrated cavities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 433-447, 2010.
4. Chiou, Y.-C., P.-S. Yang, J.-T. Kuo, and C.-Y.Wu, "Transmission zero design graph for dual-mode dual-band filter with periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 23-36, 2010.
5. Hong, J.-S., E. P. McErlean, and B. M. Karyamapudi, "A high-temperature superconducting filter for future mobile telecommunication systems," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1976-1981, 2005.
6. Lu, J.-C., C.-K. Liao, and C.-Y. Chang, "Microstrip parallel-coupled filters with cascade trisection and quadruplet responses," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2101-2110, 2008.
7. Cai, L. Y., G. Zeng, H. C. Yang, and Y. Z. Cai, "Compact bandpass filter for RFID reader applications," Electronics Lett., Vol. 47, No. 7, 321-322, 2011.
8. Liao, C. K. and C. Y. Chang, "Modified parallel-coupled filter with two independently controllable upper stopband transmission zeros," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 12, 841-843, 2005.
9. Amari, S. and J. Bornemann, "Maximum number of finite transmission zeros of coupling resonator filters with source/load multi-resonator coupling and a given topology," Microwave Conference, 1175-1177, 2000.
10. Kuo, J.-T., S.-C. Tang, and S.-H. Lin, "Quasi-elliptic function bandpass filter with upper stopband extension and high rejection level using cross-coupled stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 395-405, 2011.
11. Wei, C.-L., B.-F. Jia, Z.-J. Zhu, and M.-C. Tang, "Hexagonal dual-mode filter with four transmission zeros," Electronics Lett., Vol. 47, No. 3, 195-196, 2011.
12. Dai, G. and M. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010.
13. Wu, Y.-L. , C. Liao, and X.-Z. Xiong, "A dual-wideband bandpass filter based on E-shaped microstrip SIR with improved upper-stopband performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 141-153, 2010.
14. Montejo-Garai, , J. R., "Synthesis of N-even order symmetric filters with N transmission zeros by means of source-load cross coupling," Electronics Lett., Vol. 36, No. 3, 232-233, 2000.
15. Athukorala, L. and D. Budimir, "Compact filter configurations using concentric microstrip open-loop resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirelss Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 5, 245-247, 2012.
16. Shaman, H. and J.-S. Hong, "A novel ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter (BPF) with pairs of transmission zeroes," IEEE Microw. Wirelss Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 2, 121-123, 2007.
17. Yang, R.-Y., K. Hon, C.-Y. Hung, and C.-S. Ye, "Design of dualband bandpass filters using a dual feeding structure and embedded uniform impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 93-102, 2010.
18. Ma, K.-X., J.-G. Ma, K.-S. Yeo, and M.-A. Do, "A compact size coupling controllable filter with separate electric and magnetic coupling paths," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1113-1119, 2006.
19. Chu, Q.-X. and H. Wang, "A compact open-loop filter with mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 431-439, 2008.
20. Velazquez-Ahumada, M. D. C., J. Martel-Villagr, F. Medina, and F. Mesa, "Design of a band-pass filter using stepped impedance resonators with floating conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 31-48, 2010.
21. Ouyang, X. and Q.-X. Chu, "A mixed cross-coupling microstrip filter with multiple transmission zeros," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1515-1524, 2011.
22. Cameron, R.-J., A.-R. Harish, and C.-J. Radcliffe, "Synthesis of advanced microwave filters without diagonal cross-couplings," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 12, 2862-2872, 2002.
23. Wei, X. B., Y. Shi, P. Wang, J. X. Liao, Z. Q. Xu, and B. C. Yang, "Design of compact, wide stopband bandpass filter using stepped impedance resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1095-1104, 2012.