A broadband dual-feed dual-polarized microstrip antenna with low cross polarization and high isolation is presented. The dual-orthogonal linearly polarized mode is excited by two different feed mechanisms from a single circular radiating patch. One of the two modes is excited by a pair of L-shaped probes with a 180° phase differences, and the other is excited by an H-shaped aperture. The proposed design has a very simple antenna structure with a wide input impedance bandwidth (23.25% for Port1 and 35% for Port2) and also its two input port isolation is found to be as low as -40 dB. Measured results of the fabricated antenna prototypes are also carried out to verify the simulation analysis.
2. Wong, H., K. L. Lau, and K. M. Luk, "Design of dual-polarized L-probe patch antenna arrays with high isolation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 1, 45-52, Jan. 2004.
3. Zhang, X. Y., Q. Xue, B. J. Hu, and S. L. Xie, "A wideband antenna with dual printed L-probes for cross-polarization suppression," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., 388-390, 2006.
4. Zhong, S.-S., X.-L. Liang, and W. Wang, "Dual-polarized slot-coupled microstrip antenna with high isolation," Journal of Shanghai University,, English Edition, 336-338, 2005.
5. Jaworski, G., K. Wincza, and S. Gruszczynski, "Dual-polarized stacked c-band antenna element with novel hairpin-type contactless stripline to stripline transition in multilayer integrated structure for SAR applications," 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 337-340, 2009.
6. Nambi, S. and S. M. Wentworth, "5.8 GHz dual-polarized aperture-coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 235-238, 2005.
7. Chiou, T. W. and K. L. Wong, "Broad-band dual-polarized single microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, No. 3, 399-401, Mar. 2002.
8. Padhi, S. K., N. C. Karmakar, Sr., C. L. Law, and S. Aditya Sr., "A dual polarized aperture coupled circular patch antenna using a C-shaped coupling slot," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 12, 3295-3298, Dec. 2003.
9. Huynh, T., K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "Cross polarization characteristics of rectangular patch antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 24, 463-464, Apr. 14, 1988.
10. Chen, Z. N. and M. Y. W. Chia, "Experimental study on radiation performance of probe-fed suspended plate antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, 1964-1971, Aug. 2003.
11. Sim, C.-Y.-D., C.-C. Chang, and J.-S. Row, "Dual-feed dual-polarized patch antenna with low cross polarization and high isolation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3321-3324, Oct. 2009.
12. Rathi, V., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Improved coupling for aperture coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 44, No. 8, 1196-1198, Aug. 1996.