A new printed monopole antenna configuration, asymmetric inverted cone ring monopole antenna, is proposed. The proposed antenna which has the size of 23.6 mm x 40 mm, is fabricated on a low-cost FR4 substrate that has the relative permittivity (εr) of 4.4 and substrate thickness of 1.6 mm to operate in the UWB band (3.1 GHz to 10.6 GHz) released by Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 2002. It gives an ultra-wide impedance bandwidth of VSWR ≤ 2 from 2.9 GHz to 35 GHz (169.4%) for numerical result and from 3.1 GHz to 31.1 GHz (163.74%) for experimental result. Moreover, it exhibits omni-directional radiation patterns with acceptable gain across the whole operation band, which meets the requirements of UWB applications. The parameters which affect the performance of the antenna characteristics are investigated in this paper. The simulated results have a good agreement with the measured ones, and the proposed antenna shows that it is a very good candidate for UWB operations.
2. Schantz, H., The Art and Science of Ultra Wideband Antennas, Artech House, 2005.
3. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Printed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1247, 2004.
4. Schantz, H., "Bottom fed planar elliptical UWB antennas," The Processings of the 2003 IEEE Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies Conference, 219-223, 2003.
5. Lin, C. C., Y. C. Kan, and H. R. Chuang, "A planar triangular monopole antenna for UWB communication," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 624-626, 2006.
6. Choi, S. H., J. K. Park, S. K. Kim, and J. Y. Park, "A new ultra-wideband antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 5, 399-401, 2004.
7. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 703-705, 2005.
8. Zaker, R. and A. Abdipour, "A very compact ultrawideband printed omnidirectional monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 471-473, 2010.
9. Kasi, B., L. C. Ping, and C. K. Chakrabarty, "A compact microstrip antenna for ultra wideband applications," European Journal of Scienti¯c Research, Vol. 67, No. 1, 45-51, 2011.
10. Dastranj, A. and M. Biguesh, "Broadband coplanar waveguide-fed wide-slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 89-101, 2010.
11. Ojaroudi, M., G. Kohneshahri, and J. Noory, "Small modified monopole antenna for UWB application," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 863-869, 2009.
12. Pillalamarri, R., J. R. Panda, and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "Printed UWB circular and modified circular disc monopole antennas," ACEEE International on Communication, Vol. 1, No. 1, 5-8, 2010.
13. Ren, Y.-J. and K. Chang, "Ultra-wideband planar elliptical ring antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 8, 447-449, 2006.
14. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Printed circular ring antenna for UWB application," The Processings of the 6th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 361-363, 2010.
15. Suh, S. Y., "A comprehensive investigation of new planar wideband antennas,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Virginia Polytech. Inst. State Univ., Blacksburg, VA, USA, 2002.
16. Suh, S. Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultrawideband printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1316-1365, 2004.
17. Wang, H., H. Zhang, X. Liu, and K. Huang, "A CPW-fed ultra-wideband planar inverted cone antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 101-112, 2010.
18. Cheng, S., P. Hallbjorner, and A. Rydberg, "Printed slot planar inverted cone antenna for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 18-21, 2008.