The use of Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) as a reflector in a printed antenna is known to improve the antenna's radiation characteristics. This work investigates the implementation of AMC as a reflector on a wideband planar monopole antenna. The investigation is confined to a basic square unit cell of AMC with four possible variations. The AMC structures are constructed with square cells which have either similar square cells or a Perfect Electric Conductor (PEC) as the back plane. These same structures are also fabricated with vias. The impedance bandwidth, gain and power pattern are simulated and measured over the measured -10 dB impedance bandwidth of 3 GHz to 10 GHz. The outcome of the investigation is that, for the antenna element and AMC structures considered in this study, a gain enhancement of up to 6 dB can be achieved with the AMC structures. In addition, introduction of vias is observed not to influence gain, though it improves cross-polarization levels by 3 dB to 5 dB for AMC constructed of squares backed by PEC.
2. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999.
3. Qu, D., L. Shafai, and A. Foroozesh, "Improving microstrip patch antenna performance using EBG substrates," IEE Proceedings on Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 153, 558-563, 2006.
4. Elsheakh, , D. A., , H. A. Elsadek, E. A. Abdallah, H. Elhenawy, and M. F. Iskandar, "Enhancement of microstrip monopole antenna bandwidth by using EBG structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 959-962, 2009.
5. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez-Lopez, and F. Las-Heras, "On the influence of coupling AMC resonances for RCS reduction in the SHF band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 103-119, 2011.
6. C. C. , Chiau, X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Multiperiod EBG structure for wide stopband circuits," IEE Proceedings on Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, 489-492, 2003.
7. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., D. J. Kern, P. S. Hall, and D. H. Werner, "Wideband dipoles on electromagnetic bandgap ground planes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2426-2434, 2007.
8. Zhang, Y., J. von Hagen, M. Younis, C. Fischer, and W. Wiesbeck, "Planar artificial magnetic conductors and patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2003.
9. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, S. Wang, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 2005.
10. Wang, S., A. P. Feresidis, G. Goussetis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Low-profile resonant cavity antenna with artificial magnetic conductor ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 7, 405-406, 2004.
11. Kim, S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011.
12. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H.-S. Tae, and H. J. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006.
13. Kim, Y., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Compact artificial magnetic conductor designs using planar square spiral geometries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 43-54, 2007.
14. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, 2005.