A novel circularly polarized cavity-backed antenna (CBA) excited by crossed bowtie dipoles is presented in this paper. It is fed by a transition from a microstrip line to double-slot lines. The crossed dipoles consist of a top-loaded triangular and a filleted rhombic to achieve the required input impedance relations for circularly polarized radiation. After optimization, a simulated 3-dB axial-ratio bandwidth of 50% and a broadside gain in a range of 7 to 9 dBi are achieved while the standing wave ratio is kept below 2.
2. Lin, S., L.-Z. Wang, Y.-D. Wang, X.-Y. Zhang, and H.-J. Zhang, "Design and analysis of a circular polarization microstrip antenna with Koch fractal edges," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 34, 9-19, 2012.
3. Zimmerman Jr., R. K., "Crossed dipoles fed with a turnstile network," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 12, 2151-2156, Dec. 1998.
4. Zainud-Deen, S. H. , H. A. Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, "A single-feed cylindrical superquadric dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 409-426, 2008.
5. Danesh, S., S. K. Abdul Rahim, and M. Khalily, "A wideband trapezoidal dielectric resonator antenna with circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 34, 91-100, 2012.
6. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
7. Zhang, X.-Y. and L. Shu, "Broadband circularly polarized antenna with a T-type fractal boundary wide-slot and a L-shaped strip," Microwave Conference Proceedings (CJMW), Apr. 1-3, 2011.
8. Lin, S.-K. and Y.-C. Lin, "A broadband leaky-wave aperture antenna of circular polarization," IEEE International Symposium Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 789-792, Oct. 2009.
9. Joseph, R. and T. Fukusako, "Bandwidth enhancement of circularly polarized square slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 233-250, 2011.
10. Mak, K. M. and K. M. Luk, "A circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 3309-3312, Oct. 2009.
11. Qu, S.-W., C. H. Chan, and Q. Xue, "Wideband and high-gain composite cavity-backed crossed triangular bowtie dipoles for circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 3157-3164, Oct. 2010.
12. Bolster, M. F., "A new type of circular polarizer using crossed dipoles," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 9, No. 5, 385-388, Sep. 1961.