A novel S-shaped electromagnetic band gap (EBG) middling bandwidth bandpass filter based on substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) was proposed. The filter was designed based on the band-stop characteristics of EBG by etching different dimensional S-shaped on the surface of substrate integrated waveguide. The bandpass filter with a center frequency at 7.765 GHz and relative fractional bandwidth 7.31% shows good bandpass characteristics with frequency band between 7.38~7.94 GHz, while the insertion loss is less than 1.6 dB and achieve middling bandwidth in SIW by EBG and has the advantage of bandpass, low insertion loss, compacted and good selectivity etc. The good agreement between the measured results and the simulated results demonstrates that the design of this proposed filter is effective.
2. Fu, Y. Q., "Electormagnetic characteristics of microwave photonic crystals and applications,", A Dissertation of the Degree of Doctor in School of Electronic Science and Engineering, National University of Defense Technology, 6-10, 2004.
3. Fu, S.-H., "Electromagnetic metamaterial and its application to microwave filters,", A Dissertation Submitted to Air Force Engineering University in Candidacy for Degree of Doctor of Engineering, 8-18, 2011.
4. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits --- A new concept for high-frequency electronics and optoeletronics," Proc. 6th Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service, Vol. 1, P-III-P-X, Oct. 2003.
5. Yan, L., W. Hong, G. Hua, J. X. Chen, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Simulation and experiment on SIW slot array antennas," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 446-448, Sep. 2004.
6. Yan, L., W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations on the propagation characteristics of SIW," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw., Antennas, Propag., Vol. 152, No. 1, 35-42, Feb. 2005.
7. Xu, F., Y. L. Zhang, W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Finite difference frequency domain algorithm for modeling guided-wave properties of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 11, 2221-2227, Nov. 2003.
8. Hsu, H. J., M. J. Hill, R. W. Ziolkowski, and J. Papapolymerou, "Aduroid-based planar EBG cavity resonator filter with improved quality factor," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, 67-70, 2002.
9. Simpson, J. J., A. Taflove, J. A. Mix, and H. Heck, "Computational and experimental study of a microwave electromagnetic bandgap structure with waveguiding defect for potential use as a bandpass wireless interconnect," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 7, 343-345, Jul. 2004.
10. Hao, Z.-C., "Compact super-wide bandpass substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2938-2977, 2005.
11. Chen, S.-Y., "Substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter based on butterfly radial slot," Journal of Chongqing University of Technology, Vol. 34, No. 6, 127-131, 2011.
12. Tian, S.-L., "Bandpass filter of substrate integrated waveguide and band gap structure," Journal of Chongqing University of Technology, Vol. 24, No. 6, 52-55, 2010.
13. Fernandes, E. N. R. Q., et al., "A neural network modeling ofmi-crowave circuits on PBG structures," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest,, Vol. 1, 181-184, 2003.
14. Kyriazidou, C. A., et al., "Monolithic waveguide filters usingprinted photonic-bandgap materials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 2, 297-307, 2001.
15. Kretly, L. C. and A. Tavora, "A PBG-photonic band gap-static phase-shifter for steerable antenna array," SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1, 211-214, 2003.
16. Clavijo, S., R. E. Diaz, and W. E. McKinzie, "Design methodology for Sievenpiper high-impedance surfaces: An artificial magnetic conductor for positive gain electrically small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2678-2690, 2003.
17. Kim, T. and C. Seo, "A novel photonic bandgap structure for low-pass filter of wide stopband," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letter, Vol. 10, No. 1, 13-15, 2000.