The design approach and development of a right hand circularly polarized wideband microstrip antenna for multi-constellation Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) is presented. The antenna is corner truncated square patch, parasitically excited by a dielectric covered straight probe. A thermacol layer of thickness λ/14 at center frequency is used to support the microstrip over the ground plane substrate. The simulated and measured results are presented. The antenna shows wide beam radiation patterns with axial ratio less than ± 1 dB. Its VSWR is better than 2.8:1 and the gain varies from 1.2 dBi to 3.5 dBi over the frequency band. L5
2. Chris, R., et al., "New GNSS developments and their mpact on providers and users spatial information,", (http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/snap/publications/rizosetal 2005a.pdf).
3. Padros, N. , et al., "Comparative study of high-performance GPS receiving antenna designs," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 4, 698-706, Apr. 1997.
4. Boccia, L. , et al., "A high performance dual frequency microstrip antenna for global positioning system," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 66-69, 2001.
5. Lee, Y. , M. Kirchner, and aS. Ganguly, "Multiband L5 capable GPS antenna with reduced backlobes," ION GNSS 17th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division, 1523-1530, Sep. 2004.
6. Rao, B. R., et al., "Triple band GPS trap loaded inverted L antenna array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 1, 25-37, 2003.
7. Zhou, Y. J., C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Proximity-coupled stacked patch antenna for tri-band GPS applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium,, 2683-2686, Jul. 9-14, 2006.
8. Peng, X.-F. , S.-S. Zhong, S.-Q. Xu, and Q. Wu, "Compact dual-band GPS microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 1, 58-60, Jan. 2005.
9. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
10. Sharma , P. C. and K. C. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, 1983.
11. Haneishi, M. and S. A. Yoshida, "Design method of circularly polarized rectangular microstrip antenna by one point feed," Microstrip Antenna Design, K. C. Gupta and A. Banala, Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 1988.
12. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiely & Sons Inc., New York, 2002.
13. Ke, S. Y., "Single-feed microstrip antenna with two-layer substrate for circular polarization," Proc. International Symposium on Communication, No. 212, Nov. 2005.
14. Chen, W. S., C. K. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "Novel compact circularly polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, Mar. 2001.
15. Mak, C. L. , K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and Y. L. Chow, "Experimental study of a microstrip patch antenna with an L-shaped probe," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 5, May 2000.
16. Matin, M. A., B. S. Sharif, and C. C. Tsimenidis, "Probe fed stacked patch antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, Aug. 2007.
17. Tlili, B., "Design of C-slot microstrip patch antenna for WiMax application," Ant. & Propagation Conference, LAPC 2009, Loughborough, Nov. 16-17, 2009.
18. Hsu, W. H., G. Y. Lee, and K. L.Wong, "A wideband capacitively fed circular-E patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 27, Oct. 20, 2000.
19. Ooi, B. L. and C. L. Lee, "Broadband air-filled stacked U-slot patch antenna," Electronic Letters, Vol. 35, No. 7.
20. Lee, K. F., S. L. S. Yang, and A. A. Kishk, "Dual and multiband U-slot patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 2008.
21. Yang, S. L. S., K. F. Lee, and A. A. Kishk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 80, 2008.
22. Chang, F. S. and K. L. Wong, "A broadband probe-fed planar patch antenna with a short probe pin and a conducting cylinder transition," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 4, Nov. 20, 2001.
23., "High-frequency structure simulator (HFSS V10.1) ,", software from Ansoft Corp., Pittsburgh, PA.