In this paper, we report a new design of a compact antenna based on the use of split ring resonator (SRR). The designed antenna consists of two SRRs, with the same geometrical parameters, printed symmetrically on both sides of the dielectric substrate. Excitation of the SRR element is performed by adequately placing the access microstrip lines with respect to the confinement plane of the split rings. The resonance frequency of the antenna is essentially defined by geometrical parameters of the SRR, which makes it suitable for a broad range of applications spanning from mobile terminals to WLAN and WPAN systems. The final result is low profile, and can be easily integrated with other RF front-end circuits in a PCB.
2. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nat. Photon., Vol. 1, 224, 2007.
3. Marques, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameter: Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2008.
4. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
5. Smith, D. R., W. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, S. Schultz, and , "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184, 2000.
6. Yang, X., et al., "Design of novel ultra-wideband antenna with individual SRR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 1109-1110, 2008.
7. Alici, K. B. and E. Ozbay, "Electrically small split ring resonator antennas," J. App. Phys., Vol. 101, 083104, 2007.
8. Zhu , S., K. L. Ford, A. Tennant, and R. J. Langley, "Loaded split ring antenna over AMC," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 14, 2010.
9. Marques, R., F. Mesa, J. Martel, and F. Median, "Comparative analysis of edge and broadside coupled split ring resonators for metamaterial design," IEEE Trans. Antennas. Propag., Vol. 51, 2572-2581, 2003.