A novel Vivaldi antenna with low radar cross section (RCS) for ultra-wide band (UWB) applications is proposed in this paper. As a printed antenna with electrically large length, the Vivaldi antenna has large backscattering when the incident waves are in the grazing directions. By sleeking the edges of the proposed antenna, the reflected currents are reduced so that the peaks of the backscattering can be inhibited. Its radiation characteristics are simulated and verified. The RCS performance of the proposed antenna is studied and compared with that of a commonly used Vivaldi antenna. The result shows that the proposed antenna has lower RCS than the reference antenna in both the perpendicular and grazing directions while maintaining similar radiation characteristics. So the results illuminate that the proposed Vivaldi antenna is a good candidate in the design of printed UWB end-fire antennas requiring low RCS.
2. Hu, S., C. Law, W. Dou, and H. Chen, "Detection range enhancement of UWB RFID systems," 2007 IEEE International Workshop on Anti-counterfeiting, Security, Identification, ASID, 431-434, 2007.
3. Pozar, D., Radiation and scattering from a microstrip patch on a uniaxial substrate, Vol. 35, No. 6, 613-621, IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., 1987.
4. Yao, G.-W., Z.-H. Xue, W.-M. Li, W. Ren, and J. Cao, "Research on a new kind of high directivity end-fire antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 135-151, 2011.
5. Eldek, A., "A 100% bandwidth microstrip antenna with stable end-fire radiation patterns for phased array applications," Proc. EEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propag. & URSI Nat. Radio Sci. Meeting, 3751-3754, Albuquerque, NM, 2006.
6. Zhu, X. , W. Shao, J.-L. Li, and Y.-L. Dong, "Design and optimization of low RCS patch antennas based on a genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 327-339, 2012.
7. Liu, Y. and S. Gong, "A novel UWB clover-disc monopole antenna with RCS reduction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1115-1121, 2008.
8. Jiang, W., T. Hong, Y. Liu, S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, and S. Cui, "A novel technique for RCS reduction of printed antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 24, No. 1, 51-60, 2010.
9. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011.
10. Chen, F.-C. and W.-C. Chew, "Time-domain ultra-wideband microwave imaging radar system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 313-331, 2012.
11. Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Zhou, and T.-J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar Vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011.
12. Chen, F., "An improved wideband Vivaldi antenna design,", The University of Texas-Pan American, 2010.