This paper presents a compact band stop filter (BSF) based on the dual metal plane configuration with multiple rejection zeros (RZs). Quasi-lumped technique with novel patch-via-spiral dual mode resonator is applied to the design of the proposed filter. Multiple rejection zeros are introduced by open-end stubs for high selectivity. Design equations are obtained by using a lossless transmission line model. The calculated results show that the lower and upper rejection zeros can be easily tuned by the coupling capacitor and the open-end stubs respectively. By using the Microstrip-Coplanar-Waveguide (CPW) structure, the size of the proposed filter can be reduced to 12.8 mm x 9 mm(i.e., 0.24λg x 0.17λg), where λg denotes the guided wavelength at center frequency.
2. Velidi, V.-K., A.-B. Guntupalli, and S. Sanyal, "Sharp-rejection ultra-wide bandstop filters," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, Aug. 2009.
3. Sanchez-Soriano, M. A., G. Torregrosa-Penalva, and E. Bronchalo, "Compact wideband bandstop filter with four transmission zeros," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, Jun. 2010.
4. Xia, J.-K. and W.-J. Zhu, "New defected microstrip structure bandstop filter," PIERS Proceedings, 1471-1474, Suzhou, China, Sep. 12-16, 2011.
5. Cheng, D. , H.-C. Yin, and H.-X. Zheng, "A compact dual-band bandstop filter with defected microstrip slot," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 10, 1374-1380, Jul. 2012.
6. Xiang, Q.-Y., Q.-Y. Feng, and X.-G. Huang, "A novel microstrip bandstop filter and its application to reconfigurable filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1039-1047, 2012.
7. Won, Y.-S., K. U. Bae, and N. H. Myung, "Design method for bandpass filter with enhanced stopband rejection using spiral SIRs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 17, 1067-1068, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, May 11, 2012.
8. Lim, H., J.-H. Lee, S.-H. Lim, D.-H. Shin, and N.-H. Myung, "A novel compact microstrip bandstop filter based on spiral resonators," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2007.
9. Lin, S.-C., C.-H. Wang, and C.-H. Chen, "Novel patch-via-spiral resonators for the development of miniaturized bandpass filters with transmission zeros ," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 1, Jan. 2007.
10. Wei, X.-B., Y.-Shi, P.-Wang, J. X. Liao, Z. Q. Xu, and B. C. Yang, "Design of compact, wide stopband bandpass filter using stepped impedance resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1095-1104, 2012.
11. Chen, H., Y.-H. Wu, Y.-M. Yang, and Y.-X. Zhang, "A novel and compact bandstop filter with folded microstrip/CPW hybrid structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 1, 103-112, 2010.
12. Jiang, H., B. Lacroix, and J. Papapolymerou, "Compact tunable UHF bandstop resonator filter using varactor-loaded CPW bottom-side meander line," Proceedings of the 6th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference, 502-505, 2011.
13. Kim, , J.-Y. and H.-Y. Lee, "Wideband and compact bandstop filter structure using double-plane superposition," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 7, Jul. 2003.
14. Yang, J.-P. and W. Wu, "Compact bandstop filter with enhanced stopband performances using defected ground structure," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2007.
15. Rehman, S.-U., A.-F. Sheta, and M. Alkanhal, "Compact band-stop filter using defected ground structure (DGS)," Saudi International Electronics, Communications and Photonics Conference (SIECPC), 2011.
16. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.